The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 07:00 PM   #1
DTrain

Handgun Laser Question

I have Sig P290RS and I just mounted the laser on it. When I use the iron sights to obtain the sight picture the laser "dot" is a little high and off to the left a bit.

This is my first time with a laser. Typically should the "dot" be the center of the target when using the iron sights to obtain the sight picture. In other words should the "dot" be right behind the front sight post?

Thanks!
Old February 5, 2013, 11:51 PM   #2
AndyWest

Forget the iron sights when zeroing your laser. Choose a distance (say, 10 yds), shoot a round, then adjust the laser so it points where the bullet hit. Rinse and repeat until where it points and where the bullet hits are the same.
Old February 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
LarryFlew

I set my dots so they are behind the front sight and slightly lower so I don't use or even see the dot unless it's too dark or position won't allow using the normal sights. This ends up being less than an inch below where the normal sight would show target wise set at 20 feet.

Last edited by LarryFlew; February 7, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old February 7, 2013, 10:47 AM   #4
sgms

AndyWest is correct, your iron sights and your laser dot may not be right together. The laser projects in a straight flat line, the bullet is not going down range on a flat line it rises and eventually arches down.(if you want more information google 'trajectory' and be ready for a physics lesson) You have to set the laser dot to intersect the bullet path at your selected sight in range.
Old February 17, 2013, 09:02 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Laser aimers, Crimsontrace.com ....

I'd go to www.crimsontrace.com & get the free 2013 DVD & training guide. The website FAQ section can assist you too .

The staff/LE Crimsontrace instructor explains how to use-install laser-sight units. He also teaches practical tactics for entry level gun owners or citizens.