The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Oregon Trail Bullets

As per the safe advice here on TFL I pulled the Oregon Trail bullets on my 45 ACP's that I had loaded with 5.2 grains of Titegroup. I chaged them 5 with 4.1 grains of Titegroup, 5 with 4.2 and 5 with 4.3 grains then 5 with 4.5 and 5 with 4.7 and 5 with 4.9. At the range off the table as a rest my formally accurate commander sized Kimber was all over the place except where I was aiming. Any thoughts? Using a table as a rest? Powder? Bullets? The shooter as a problem is a given but this was much worse than I expected.
Thanks in advance,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 8, 2010, 08:50 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

How do the bullets compare to your bore size?
Old March 8, 2010, 10:31 PM   #3
Loader9

Pick a load that felt like it was right and adjust the OAL. My Kimber likes the ammo long and right at max OAL. Accuracy with my Kimber can be from shotgun pattern to one hole with just changing the OAL. Even a .005 difference can mean groups or patterns. Pick a load at about 80% of max and play with it.
Old March 9, 2010, 02:04 AM   #4
Bill Daniel

Oregon Trail Bullets

Thanks for the replies! The box says .451 but I have not measured them, good thought though and I will do so. Thanks Loader9 I will give that a try. These are our CCW pistols for my wife and I and wanted an accurate load to practice with.
Thanks again,
Bill Daniel

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old March 9, 2010, 11:19 AM   #5
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
The box says .451 but I have not measured them, good thought though and I will do so.
You should also measure the bore. It should be..... but don't assume.