The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 28, 2005, 09:44 PM   #1
Eagles81

Anybody out there have any squirrel hunting tips?

Believe it or not I am 23 years old and have never been squirrel hunting, other than the occassional sniping session with my Gamo pellet rifle. I would like to use my Rem. 870 and will be hunting on a friends heavily wooded and quite hilly property. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old August 28, 2005, 10:02 PM   #2
jroth

Tips for squirrels

Early season walk softly and listen for calling and cutting of nuts.
Use #6 shot for the shotgun, guage not a hinderance. no need for magnums.
Get out eaarly in day espcially if bright and sunny go out late if same.
If overcasst and drizzling the better, squirells seem to be less cautious and on the ground more.
Don;t blast, try to make every shot count, waiting has it rewards.
Old August 28, 2005, 10:04 PM   #3
Eagles81

Thank you for the advice. Like I said it is appreciated. I'll try it out and post how things went. Thanks a lot!
Old August 28, 2005, 10:08 PM   #4
Jody Hudson

Find a little grove of nut trees, Oaks, etc. Sit down at the base of another tree where you can see the tops of the nut trees and wait. The squirrels will be out in about 25 minutes or less after your last, slightest, move or sound.

After you shoot, they will be back in another 25 minutes or less after your last SLIGHTEST MOVE OR SOUND...

Once they start jumping through the tree tops again, you will eventually get another shot.

If you are really, really, still and quite - not a breath or twitch or blink of any kind... one or two may stick a nose out and then an eye, to look at you, after about 20 minutes, but you probably won't see them for another five or ten minutes... if you don't move or make the slightest sign of life!
Old August 28, 2005, 10:11 PM   #5
impact

Squirrels will also take the same path through the trees. They use the same tree and branch when they travel through the woods time and time again.
Old August 28, 2005, 10:13 PM   #6
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
walk softly and listen for calling and cutting of nuts
+1 on that, and even sound of claws on trees can be heard on a scampering squirrel. Been a while since I did this, but my visual pattern was sort of looking at everything and yet nothing in particular - you're looking for something that looks out of place - something that doesn't look like a branch, trunk bark, or leaves. Anything "unusual" in that way draws some actual visual focus to understand what it is. After awhile, you will pick up "unusual" textures and outlines very quickly, even in corners of your peripheral vision, as you move through the forest.
Old August 28, 2005, 10:16 PM   #7
Eagles81

I never thought I would get this much info.

Looks like I'll have a lot of things to try my first time out!
Old August 28, 2005, 10:17 PM   #8
chemist308

I'm partial to number 4 shot, and a full choke (16 guage). By aiming at the air a couple or few inches past the head--range dependent--I get no bbs in the meat.
Old August 28, 2005, 11:02 PM   #9
Big Yac

would a .218 Bee be alittle too much for a squirrel?
Old August 28, 2005, 11:42 PM   #10
sum-rifle

.218 will work fine with head shots.
Old August 29, 2005, 04:10 AM   #11
Jody Hudson

IF, you are legally allowed to use a rifle and have the skill to make head shots reliably, that is the way to go as you will not get shot in the meat. I am one of those folks that don't like to pick out the shot and even less fond of crunching down on a piece with my expensive fillings.

Are you allowed to use a rifle? Just be FAR more aware of what is miles beyond your tree!
Old August 29, 2005, 05:12 AM   #12
mete

I've hunted squirrels with shotgun, 22 rifle, and 22 pistol. For shotgun I prefer #4 . Make sure you pattern the load so you know exactly what you have.Experiment with different loads and chokes. Find a good oak or other nut source ,be patient.You can sit in one spot or very slowly and quietly walk through.
Old August 29, 2005, 05:48 AM   #13
Tylden

Yeah....go DEER hunting ! You'll see all kinds of squirrels as they harrass you and make all kinds of racket in the woods.
Old August 29, 2005, 09:10 AM   #14
Clayfish

Quote:
Yeah....go DEER hunting ! You'll see all kinds of squirrels as they harrass you and make all kinds of racket in the woods.

AMEN!!! When I go deer hunting I see squirrels and turkey and everything but deer. When I'm turkey hunting I see deer. Rabbit hunting... deer. It's so agrivating.
Old August 29, 2005, 05:50 PM   #15
chemist308

Quote:
Yeah....go DEER hunting ! You'll see all kinds of squirrels as they harrass you ...
I had one playing and scurrying right beside me last day of deer season. He came within three feet of my lap. Gave him a real good scare, as he jumped about that high when I chuckled at him from three feet away
Old August 29, 2005, 07:02 PM   #16
butch50

Squirrel hunting with a squirrel dog is the absolute best. If you know anybody that has a squirrel dog, get them to take you. If you like squirrel hunting, consider training yourself a dog - terriers make great ones.

When you see a squirrel disappear into a tree and you are looking for him, look for his eye. The eye is a black perfectly round spot and once you get the knack of spotting the eye you will zero in on the squirrel much faster. A squirrel will generally get up into the tree and lay flat along a branch, but will try to keep you in sight with as little of his body showing as possible. Look for that eye.

Second best thing to look for is the tip of the tail either twitching or moving from a breeze, that motion will often attact your attention. An older than hills trick that sometimes works is to keep some rocks in your pocket. If you know the squirrel is up in the tree you are looking at, but you can't see him after a while, flick a rock to the other side of the tree - don't make a big arm movement doing it. Sometimes it will startle the squirrel into moving around to your side, giving his position away.

And never never never shoot into a squirrel nest.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old August 29, 2005, 07:12 PM   #17
Trip20

When you have a squirrel on the trunk of the tree, it will always scurry around to the side opposite you. This is my favorite situation.

Pick up a rock or stick from the ground, toss it around the otherside (where the squirrel is hiding) and he'll run around to your side where you can get a nice shot. Toss the rock/stick high if possible so you have time to shoulder your shotgun, ready for the squirrel to appear.

Good luck.
Old August 29, 2005, 08:12 PM   #18
jroth

additional follow-up

Look for Hickory trees in the early season, as they drop/ripen their nuts early and leave turn yellow, the go for the white oak acrons then the red oak acorns as they are biiter until the late season.
If using .22 rifle, make certain you can consistently hit @ 50 yds the end of a small orange juice can, then take your shots.
#4 shot on a squirrel will carry through the body beter than #6, your prefence.
A corn field and woods side-by side are ideal as squirrels LOVE sweet corn and apple so check the orchards.
Wear a pair of yellow safety glasses, it sharpens the defintion (almost 3D) of the woods.
A mewwing (cat-like) call belongs to the gray, sharp bark is the Fox and a shrill trill is a LOUDMOUTH RED!
Old August 30, 2005, 12:24 AM   #19
Big Yac

I guess I forgot to mention the .218 Bee I'd be using to maybe hunt squirrels with is a handgun, its a Taurus Raging Bee
Old September 10, 2005, 05:25 PM   #20
Toney

sniping sq heads at 30 to 40 yards with old rem 511 in
the fall after the leaves drop and most of the bugs are
gone is a pretty good way to spend a mornning .sq
come out about 8:00 am so you don't have to get up
before sun comes up just find a comfortable place to set
and enjoy the woods .
Old September 20, 2005, 10:46 PM   #21
FrontSight

So true about deer hunting - you will see dozens at first light till about 10 am. Then they usually stop till about an two or three hours before dark for the most part. You can try using a call, too, that's pretty awesome to stalk one when it answers your call...had one run towards me, that was cool.
Old September 21, 2005, 06:28 AM   #22
Bowtier

Wow

I don't believe the amount of squirrel knowledge here. I think it's great, it is one of, if not, my favorite season. Just the best time of the year to be in the woods. About all I could add the this list of techniques is 1) They don't like windy days, if it's windy any squirrels you do see will most likely be on the ground. 2) Get a squirrel call. They should have them @ your local sporting goods store. They look kinda like some turkey gobble calls, black rubber w/ a hard black plastic base. Just listen to the squirrels calling & try to mimic their calls, this will have them ready to knaw your foot off. 3) Oh, and when they do call watch for their tails, they twitch in sync. with their calls. Above all enjoy the day in the autumn woods & good luck.

Last edited by Bowtier; September 21, 2005 at 06:29 AM. Reason: spelin'
Old September 21, 2005, 06:37 AM   #23
2002gti

if your an avid hunter - mepps buys the tails to make their lures, its a pretty big program they run.
Old September 23, 2005, 04:09 PM   #24
FrontSight

Also, check out this article, pretty good tips:
http://www.huntingnet.com/articles/a...rticles_id=479
Old September 23, 2005, 05:54 PM   #25
Pointer

It's already been covered above...

I was going to say, "Don't let'em see you."
But they will...

If they do, get compfy and don't breathe for 20-30 minutes.
But you will...

If you get a shot up close... hit'em with the edge of your pattern.
If you get a shot up really close... hit'em with your gun.

It pays to know how your shot patterns at different ranges.

Have fun!