The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2015, 06:11 PM   #1
oldscot3

357 cal discontinued 150 gr.JHC

A friend gave me a couple of boxes of Sierra 150 gr. JHC .357" bullets. I think I'll load them for my 38 spcl. model 10, but I'm having a hard time deciding on a powder.

Toying with the idea of using HS-6. The Lee book shows the starting load and the max load as 7 gr. With the pressure as 14900 cup. Curiously, the +p section shows a lighter load with a 146 gr. jacketed bullet. They didn't shoot the 150 in that section.

I don't know what I'm going to do yet but I'm thinking of loading 6.6 gr.s and using my Highway Patrolman to test them.
Old January 31, 2015, 07:42 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I would advise against HS-6. Not because it's the wrong burn rate. But because I have never had good luck with it in 38 Special. And I've tried countless combinations over decades. It just doesn't burn consistent in the lower pressure 38 Special cartridge. 38 Special is just not a comfortable home for HS-6. I stopped loading HS-6 in 38 & 44 Special entirely. It does much better in higher pressure cartridges - like 9mm, 10mm, and 357 Magnum.

I've had much better success with AA5, and Unique.

If you go with HS-6, they'll shoot. They just may not be consistent or clean - and I recommend a magnum primer. One nice thing about HS-6 is that when you are in uncharted territory (like this situation), it's a very forgiving powder.

6.6gns sounds about right, as Speer #14 has a 6.7gn max - for a lead 158gn bullet. And using your Highway Patrolman is a good idea - just in case. The load will be nowhere near that gun's capability. It' not going to be anywhere near the model 10's capability, for that matter. But prudence would have you try them in the big N frame first.
Old January 31, 2015, 08:12 PM   #3
oldscot3

Well, you may have talked me out of HS-6. I'm not stuck on it, what I'm really after is about 900 fps within standard 38 spcl pressures.

Reading a 30 year old Sierra manual, they made the comment that these bullets perform best at the upper velocities. My little 5" taper barrel model 10 is in really nice condition, I don't want to shake it loose prematurely but I would like to squeeze out best performance since I have a little over 200 of these bullets.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:25 PM   #4
Nick_C_S

I don't like to reverse engineer velocities - it's a potential pathway to a damaged gun. My load work up process is never "I want such-n-such bullet to get to so-n-so velocity." I work up until I see pressure signs; or until my comfort level relative to published data has been exhausted. I build in some safety margin by backing down the recipe a little, and then see where the velocity ended up. That said, I think you can push a 150gn slug through a 5" bbl and get 900 fps, no problem. That is not an unrealistic goal. Do you have a chronograph?

I've pushed a 158gn plated bullet (Berry's FP) to 924 fps through a 4" Smith M67 with Unique. No problem at all - no signs of pressure what so ever. It is however, a little over the Speer #14 published max of 5.2gns. And that's the only reference source I have here at work, so I'll refrain from stating exactly what it is. I will say that it's only slightly over. And of course, always work up your own loads for safety.

I've pushed lead 158's to near 1000 fps with Unique and Power Pistol too. But lead is apples n oranges compared to jacketed - less barrel friction, more velocity.

Speaking of Power Pistol - that would be a great choice. If PP can't do it, it can't be done. I'm curious what other powders you have?

And circling back to HS-6: I bet it can do the 900 fps too. It just tends to be a little wonky in 38 Special - that's my only complaint about it in 38 Special (ask any regular here on TFL - I'm actually a big fan of HS-6; just not in 38 Special). The more you load it up, the better it behaves (to a point, of course). Considering you're goal is a pretty stout round (by 38 Special standards), HS-6 maybe shouldn't be discounted out of hand. Just don't expect your work up to go well at first - lots of soot, unburned powder, inconsistent velocities, etc. - until you load it up to were it starts to run better. You never know, you may get better results than me. If HS-6 is all you have, then it's definitely worth a try.
Old January 31, 2015, 09:34 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Quote:
what I'm really after is about 900 fps within standard 38 spcl pressures.
Heh, it didn't see that part before. Within standard pressures? Probably not going to happen. Your Model 10 - assuming it's in good working condition - can more than handle +P all day long. The difference is minimal anyway - boarding on gray area semantics.
Old January 31, 2015, 10:00 PM   #6
oldscot3

I have a good selection of powders and a chronograph. The Lee book is what got me started on the HS-6, until I noticed the curiosity of their published pressures. They claim 1011 fps with 7 gr.s HS-6 at 14900 cup although they don't specify what they were fired from. Presumably a longish test barrel.

I'm not trying to reverse engineer a load, just now doing my research. I like to conserve my components resources as best I can, so I'm after information right now. If I can find someone who has already tried a combination, their results can help me decide whether I want risk the resources to try the work up in my gun.

Last edited by oldscot3; January 31, 2015 at 10:13 PM.
Old February 2, 2015, 07:26 AM   #7
nhmikel

Out of curiousity how would load for my 357 max 12" T/C barrel
Old February 2, 2015, 04:21 PM   #8
Nick_C_S

Quote:
Out of curiosity how would you load for my 357 Maximum 12" T/C barrel?
Winchester 296 - and a bunch of it
Old February 2, 2015, 04:27 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

Any 146 or 148 grain data will do nicely. About 900 fps is very close to max loads of HS6 though. Not that that'd be a big deal. CFE Pistol starts a bit faster.