The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 5, 2012, 11:30 PM   #26
gunnerk19

http://gunfinancing.com/

Old October 6, 2012, 12:20 AM   #27
Frasier

My local Cabelas had a new Cimarron 1911 in the display case for $400. I also need a 1911 in my collection, and just got my yearly bonus.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:05 AM   #28
Hawg

Quote:
Well...the one I owned was cheap, and crap. YMMV, and I hope it does.
I won't be travelling that road again.
Rock Island had a bad rep several years ago but the stuff they're making now is top shelf as far as reliability is concerned. I don't like the grips and the finish is chalky looking until its oiled, then it looks pretty good. Their customer service is some of the best in the business. Any problem you have no matter how small they will take care of.
Old October 6, 2012, 06:33 AM   #29
Pistolgripshotty

To be honest its always a new firearm I want...once I actually go to the shop and purchase the gun I been saving for, I see something else I want and start the process all over again its like it never stops!!! Lol its all good fun though I hope Santa brings what ya want.
Old October 6, 2012, 02:03 PM   #30
baddarryl

Ok guys, since i have settled on the $800 range for an R1 Enhanced or Springfield R/O I am also looking at Colts. What can I get on the used market that compares? Also are the Colts worth the $ or is it just the name? I just saw a nice Series 70 Combat Commander for $1000. I know it is not really the same gun, but got me thinking, I'd like to have a Colt. Have I drank too much cool aid?
Old October 6, 2012, 08:18 PM   #31
Stevie-Ray

Nope, Colts are wonderful.
Old October 6, 2012, 08:51 PM   #32
orionengnr

As un-impressed as I have been with my purchases of RIA (x1), Colt (x3) and Springfield (x4), (nearly all bought used) I guess I will have to advise you to buy someting new, with a bullet proof warranty.

In my experience, only Springfield lives up to that description. And I have had to take advantage of that warrantee more than once, with guns bought used. Their warrantee dept is great.

Let me stipulate that the vast majority of my purchases have been bought used.
That said, I have no plans to own another Springfield, Colt or any Philipiine-manufactured 1911 in the future.

At the moment, if I had to make a recommendation, the S&W 1911 (either new or used) would be my pick.

Other's opinions/experience may differ.

Best, Rich
Old October 10, 2012, 09:42 PM   #33
AdrianVall

Great thread! Lets keep the replies going, as I'm sort of in the same boat.