The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 19, 2008, 10:21 PM   #1
ziggy222

looking for ar15 loading advice

i'm accustomed to reloading for revolver calibers,shotguns,and many bolt actions for many yrs.i want to reload for an colt hbar ar15 with 1/7 twist.i have imr4064 around but i'm thinking i may need something more like h335.i'm thinking because of the twist rate that i'll need a heavier than usual bullet like 60 grains or more.now the big question is about the dies.i want hornady but only rcbs sells small base reloading dies.can i get away with just full length sizing dies?or do i have to get the small based ones?whatever the type i get,i'm also going to get a lee crimper for crimping in a seperate step.any advice will be very much apreciated ty.
Old September 19, 2008, 10:48 PM   #2
Bullet94

You might look here -

http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html

There is loading data from Sierra there too.

I’d recommend Sierra 77gr MatchKings for your twist rate and these will still fit in your mag. I went with the listed accuracy load, but some people like Varget or RE-15. I don’t use small base dies and have not had a problem and I don’t crimp for the MatchKings.

I would recommend getting one of these to set your dies to not size your cases more than necessary -

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...756&t=11082005

I measure a fired case with the mic and then resize it to .002 or .003 under the fired case size.
Old September 19, 2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Loader9

You don't NEED the heavy bullets and can load 55gr bullets all day long and with great accuracy. I have 1:7 and a 1:8 twist AR's and both twists shoot the same load in tiny cloverleafs at 100 yds. Try 25.0 grs AA2230 under a 55 gr bullet. It shoots great in any of the ten or so 223's I have. Optimum bullet weight for the 1:7 from my experience is the 62 gr. Try Varget under the 62's. Anything heavier and accuracy starts going away. Don't believe the BS you HAVE to shoot the real heavy bullets in it.
Old September 19, 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
ziggy222

thanks guys.i think i have enough info to get started now.now its time to visit midway