The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2008, 04:54 PM   #1
Smoke & Recoil

Bullet Lube

Gathering Opinions What is your favorite lube for real black powder
and black powder substitution. Example...38-40, 45 long colt etc.
Old September 4, 2008, 07:42 PM   #2
mikenbarb

In my percussion and flintlock, I like the bore butter. It works great for me. Otherwise I think the ALOX should work good.
Old September 4, 2008, 11:50 PM   #3
snuffy

Quote:
Otherwise I think the ALOX should work good.
Nope! Alox is based on a petroleum grease, it would form a tar that's very hard to dissolve/remove from barrels. Keep ANY type of petro lube away from real BP.

Good BP lube will contain vegetable oil, sometimes in an emulsion with water. It keeps the fouling soft and easily dissolved by water.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 5, 2008, 11:51 AM   #4
AlaskaMike

I don't shoot BP, but the most common bullet lube I hear about for it is SPG.

Mike
Old September 5, 2008, 03:20 PM   #5
Ohio Rusty

I use real bears oil rendered from bears fat. That has been the best I've found for my flintlock rifles the last few years. This is of course is lube for cloth patches and round ball. I used to have a T/C hawken in .50 caliber. Bore butter worked fine with it for Maxi-ball conicals, and it also worked well in my cap-n-ball revolvers.
I lean toward doing things historically accurate, or as accurate as I can get. The old ways worked for them, and they still work well today. We sometimes have to find alternatives as some things are no longer available for use .... like sperm whale oil, or spermacetti candles, etc.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Old September 5, 2008, 03:33 PM   #6
kraigwy

I've tried about everything for bullet lubes. From homemade to just about every thing on the market. I have found the Lee lube that you roll the bullets in is the best to prevent leading with soft leads in pistols in Rifles.

Black powder is a bit differant. You need to leave the barrel moist. I still use Lee Lube on the bullets but I use a wad over the powder and a bit of homemade lube between the wad an the bullet. The lube I make, (got from the NRA many years ago), is a mixture of 1lb of para. wax, one lb of vasoline, and one tea spoon of RCBS case lube (or half a teaspoon of STP). I shoot lead bullets and black powder in my 1895 Browning 45-70 and my Remington Rolling Block in 44-90 Sharps Bottleneck.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 5, 2008, 05:31 PM   #7
Smoke & Recoil

[B]ALL OF YOUR POST[B]. All of these opinions are looking very interesting...Please keep them coming in, I appreciate each and every one .

Smoke & Recoil
Old September 5, 2008, 09:09 PM   #8
Hawg

I make my own out of beeswax and Crisco. You do not want to use any petroleum products in the bore or chambers of a bp gun unless you want to make a chore out of an otherwise easy clean.
Old September 12, 2008, 12:55 AM   #9
Gewehr98

Ditto on the above.

The rule is non-petroleum lubes for BP - unless you want to clean tar and hard black fouling out of your barrel after just a couple of rounds. I made that mistake once and will never do so again.

Over the last several years, I've been using beeswax and lard, or beeswax and Crisco, in my black powder cartridge loads that I run through my 32" Sharps. I make sure my bullets have several deep lube grooves, at least 4, then they go through my ancient Lyman #45 lubrisizer and get gooped up. I honestly believe you cannot have too much bullet lube when shooting BP. Why? You want to keep your BP fouling moist and soft, and if you run out of lube during the bullet's travel down the barrel you'll soon regret it.

A good test to see if you're doing the right thing with your BP bullet lube is look at the muzzle for a "lube star". If it's there, you have enough. If not, you may be experiencing some fouling in the last inch or two of your barrel - and that's no fun at all.

Neural Misfires
Old September 12, 2008, 08:26 AM   #10
Jim Watson

I use SPG on my own bullets. I recently bought some Montana Custom Casting with DGL, which looks awful similar.

A friend mixed up a couple of different Internet Recipes. One, based on lanolin and beeswax, is ok. The other is pretty sad and is going mostly for casting flux.
Old September 12, 2008, 08:55 AM   #11
noelf2

Various mixtures of bees wax, parrafin wax, and tallow (usually mutton or goat). I like to add a bit more bees wax if I know I'll be using hotter loads. I soak the melted mixture into felt patches that are under the round ball, or into the grease grooves of bullets. When I'm loading BP cartridges with round ball, I'll put some of the same lube over the ball at the edge of the cartridge mouth as well.
Old September 12, 2008, 03:50 PM   #12
Smoke & Recoil

I am really fascinated by each and every reply on this thread thus far.
I never thought that I would see so many great ideas, please keep
shooting them in. Thank you, all.
Old September 19, 2008, 01:14 AM   #13
REDTAIL

motor mica

other than midway usa does any one know of a place to buy motor mica which is fine like powder, looks like graphite but its white, checked out every thing on the web sites, this stuff is produced either in India & China they must have a huge supply of Mica, but no where in the USA can you find a company that has it for sale other than midway usa, they sell it in 1lb containers for $23.00 I was looking for a place that would sell it in 5lb lots for much less than what midway is charging,this mica powder has manny fine uses for lub purposes, like for dusting your reloading dies and sprinkle it on your cast bullets etc. So if anyone on the forum knows where I can buy this motor mica i would appreciate your leads thanks, by the way Brownell's, Napa auto parts, home depot, lowes etc checked them all out no dice
Old September 19, 2008, 01:47 AM   #14
snuffy

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

They sell it for dusting shotshell wads, but it too is in ½ lb. cans.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/products.asp?dept=73

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?