The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 7, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
8MM Mauser

Missed deals

With prices what they are as of late, I can hardly help but remember some of the deals I've missed on various firearms throughout the past couple of years... Just figured I would buy one "later"

2007 - used to see rows and rows of $300 AK47's at local gun shows, now guns of the same quality are going for $1000. I told myself to just buy one (I actually purchased a bayonet) since I'm interested in both the history of the gun and the fun of shooting it, but I never wanted to lay the cash down, course I was a pizza delivery guy at the time and not exactly swimming in it. I braught a Mosin M44 for $80 instead as a "first" gun. Hated it and couldn't shoot it worth a damn (that side mounted bayonet is too funky for me) and sold it last year for $185 to finance a shotgun purchase.

2009- saw a gently used USP in .40 cal. $400! It was a great deal and I love the USP, but the .40 kind of turned me off, I was looking for a .45 or a 9mm. I should have just jumped on the deal, I was just married and we were flush with cash.

2010 - saw what I think was a 1950's Smith and Wesson K-frame in good condition (probably 75-80%) at the local hardware store for $310. I wasn't sure about a revolver back then, being something of a "ninja" but now I love old SW revolvers and I have been kicking myself ever since I went back the next week to see the gun gone...

So what deals did you not jump on when you had the chance?
Old April 7, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Mauser8mm

SKS and Ruger American

I remember when my LGS had SKS's for about $300, and Ruger American Rifles for $300, now the Rugers are going for $400 and the SKS's aren't even available!!

By the way, I wanted to point out that we have very similar usernames!!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old April 7, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Glenn E. Meyer

At the first AWB, I thought I should buy some more regular mags for my Glock. I went to the gun show and they were about 5 bucks more than before. The dealer offered some big package of mags for that price. I thought it was a rip off and only bought two. Then they went to 120 each and I could have been a gouger.

Also, a LGS was going under and I could have bought a SW 3913 LS for a a significantly lowered price. Didn't. Sigh.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:45 AM   #4
Dashunde

Missed a $400 Beretta 22lr Cheetah by 5 minutes... turned my back to think about it and poof, gone.
Missed a new CZ 75 with Omega trigger priced around $480, stupidly went with the SA instead.
Missed a very nice used FNAR at $750 with a Leupold scope/rings, 2 20 rounders and 1 10 rounder... damn
Old April 7, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
shouldazagged

About ten years ago one of my LGS's had two identical immaculate, unfired, gorgeous, pinned-barrel, 1970-built Smith Model 15-8's they had obtained from an estate sale.

I only had enough money to buy one. I should have mortgaged my soul...
Old April 7, 2013, 02:59 PM   #6
grizz223

Wow where to begin on all the incredible deals I have passed by over the years. Oh know how about the guy at the gunshow in the late 80's who had two 55 gal drums full of C96 broom handle Mausers pick which one you want $200 I of couse did not. How abot the gunshow where the guy had a HK USP in 9mm for $400 didn't buy that either. The list goes on and on. I have noticed that if I go to a gunshow with money in pocket I won't find a d*mn thing but if I go without funds there is always a great deal to be had.
Old April 7, 2013, 03:09 PM   #7
skimbell

About eight years ago I walked into my LGS where I've traded for years and the manager who is a pretty good friend pulls out a SIG 556. He told me that he'd just gotten the gun in and he knew I'd be in that day. Bottom line-he told me I could have the gun out the door for a grand. I'd just purchased an AR the week before sooo...
You know the rest.

Last edited by skimbell; April 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old April 7, 2013, 05:14 PM   #8
8MM Mauser

Quote:
I remember when my LGS had SKS's for about $300, and Ruger American Rifles for $300, now the Rugers are going for $400 and the SKS's aren't even available!!

By the way, I wanted to point out that we have very similar usernames!!
When I first started paying attention to guns i had a buddy who agonized over paying $150 for an SKS, didn't and now kicks himself everytime he sees one for sale for $500-$700!

and you know, great minds think alike and all that...! I love Mauser rifles!

Quote:
At the first AWB, I thought I should buy some more regular mags for my Glock. I went to the gun show and they were about 5 bucks more than before. The dealer offered some big package of mags for that price. I thought it was a rip off and only bought two. Then they went to 120 each and I could have been a gouger.

Also, a LGS was going under and I could have bought a SW 3913 LS for a a significantly lowered price. Didn't. Sigh.
Nice. You'de be able to finance a whole bunch of ammo for the prices those things sell for now!

Quote:
Missed a $400 Beretta 22lr Cheetah by 5 minutes... turned my back to think about it and poof, gone.
Missed a new CZ 75 with Omega trigger priced around $480, stupidly went with the SA instead.
Missed a very nice used FNAR at $750 with a Leupold scope/rings, 2 20 rounders and 1 10 rounder... damn
Wow, that's a great price on that CZ man! That's one heck of a pistol with that upgraded trigger on it.I've actually been tossing aroudn the idea of acquiring one myself!

Quote:
About ten years ago one of my LGS's had two identical immaculate, unfired, gorgeous, pinned-barrel, 1970-built Smith Model 15-8's they had obtained from an estate sale.

I only had enough money to buy one. I should have mortgaged my soul...
Worth it! At least you got one of them. I've come around a LOT on revolvers in the last couple years. I positively love them now.

Quote:
Wow where to begin on all the incredible deals I have passed by over the years. Oh know how about the guy at the gunshow in the late 80's who had two 55 gal drums full of C96 broom handle Mausers pick which one you want $200 I of couse did not. How abot the gunshow where the guy had a HK USP in 9mm for $400 didn't buy that either. The list goes on and on. I have noticed that if I go to a gunshow with money in pocket I won't find a d*mn thing but if I go without funds there is always a great deal to be had.
Wow, $200 for a C96. That makes me almost sick to contemplate. Not just for the value in $$ but for the value in history; the first widely successful semi-auto. and a Mauser no less!

I hear you on that with the gunshows too. I swear everytime I'm strapped for cash something I love appears at a gunshow or online for some phenomenal price.

Quote:
About eight years ago I walked into my LGS where I've traded for years and the manager who is a pretty good friend pulls out a SIG 516. He told me that he'd just gotten the gun in and he knew I'd be in that day. Bottom line-he told me I could have the gun out the door for a grand. I'd just purchased an AR the week before sooo...
You know the rest.
I certainly do. I just remembered another one actually: I had a buddy offer my his XD9 for $300 about 2 years back. I passed because I was saving for a USP. Ended up having to do some car repairs and then impregnating my wife! So money was not available after that. Still haven't been able to get me that USP... Been pining for that particular pistol for about 8 years now.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:04 PM   #9
dakota.potts

When my dad was in South Africa they offered to take him "outside the fence" where he could buy a fully automatic AK shipped to the states (disassembled) for $15. He says that was before certain import restrictions so it could have been shipped back disassembled. After the NFA tax he could have sold a $215 weapon for several thousand.

He also kicks himself for not buying into many of the cheap gold opportunities he had.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:44 PM   #10
SHE3PDOG

A few days before the ball started rolling on this most recent shortage/price super inflation, I saw a SCAR 17S at a gun shop in my hometown while I was visiting my father. It was used for 1700 dollars. Unfortunately, I had just run into some financial difficulties that prevented me from using my savings. Now I can't find them for less than 3 grand. Sad days.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 8, 2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Skans

Everything full-auto was a missed deal.

Other than Full Auto, there isn't much that I feel I've missed out on. And, I'm just glad to have bought the one full-auto gun that I have when I did!

I still want a Sig AMT - but even 15 years ago folks were trying to get $4,000 them. Now, they want $6,500+.

I do regret not buying an FN FAL sear-cut when I could get one for about $2,000.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:45 AM   #12
8MM Mauser

Quote:
When my dad was in South Africa they offered to take him "outside the fence" where he could buy a fully automatic AK shipped to the states (disassembled) for $15. He says that was before certain import restrictions so it could have been shipped back disassembled. After the NFA tax he could have sold a $215 weapon for several thousand.

He also kicks himself for not buying into many of the cheap gold opportunities he had.
Wow. $15 huh? Sounds like he could have got himself an FFL and rented a little space in the mall!

Sounds like those guns would probably be beat to hell though.

I know what you mean in gold, I had some savings when I got married and wish I would have invested some in it. It's over triple the price it was then and everytime I hear the current gold prices I sigh...
Old April 8, 2013, 08:48 AM   #13
8MM Mauser

Quote:
Everything full-auto was a missed deal.

Other than Full Auto, there isn't much that I feel I've missed out on. And, I'm just glad to have bought the one full-auto gun that I have when I did!

I still want a Sig AMT - but even 15 years ago folks were trying to get $4,000 them. Now, they want $6,500+.

I do regret not buying an FN FAL sear-cut when I could get one for about $2,000.
Yeah the inflation on gun prices is crazy! I guy I meant at a gunshow once told me about this full auto FAL he had paid a couple hundred for back in the eighties: though the exact price and year escape me.
Old April 8, 2013, 08:49 AM   #14
8MM Mauser

Quote:
A few days before the ball started rolling on this most recent shortage/price super inflation, I saw a SCAR 17S at a gun shop in my hometown while I was visiting my father. It was used for 1700 dollars. Unfortunately, I had just run into some financial difficulties that prevented me from using my savings. Now I can't find them for less than 3 grand. Sad days.
Wow, that could have been quite the windfall! If you sold it. I have a hard time selling a gun unless I shoot it very poorly...
Old April 8, 2013, 08:38 PM   #15
Mausermolt

i missed a PTR-91 that had a scope (cheep-o) bi-pod, laser and a flashlight a hard case and 10 magazines for $400 freakin $$!!!! i didnt really care about the laser flashlight crap. but man did i kick myself for not putting that puppy on layaway...sigh....

oh also

PRAISE OUR MASTER PAUL MAUSER !
Old April 8, 2013, 08:43 PM   #16
8MM Mauser

Wow Mausermolt! $400! How long ago was that? That quite a gun to pass up for that "much." Just imagine yourself selling it for $2000 now... Not that you would.

I'm a pretty big fan of Paul Mauser, Mauser rifles and bolt actions in general. Don't get me wrong, I love me some semi-auto's, but there is just something about a bolt gun...
Old April 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #17
Mausermolt

that was....2009 i think? maybe 2010. i was going to flight school then and dropping 70K ok my training put a huge damper on my toy fund.

and yes i do love all my handguns, AK,AR, ect. but the rifles i hunt with the most were born from Mr. Mauser's 98 design. My 1936 S/42 K98 is one of my most prized possessions. i like it so much i bought another as a shooter due to the collector value of the pre war rifle then when i figured out how collectible my next one was (it was made by jewish internment slaves) i dont really want to take it out and shoot either! its especially awesome because it has shrapnel in the stock from the war!
Old April 9, 2013, 06:24 AM   #18
8MM Mauser

Yeah there's just something about the design. I woudl really love to get my hands on a stock configuration K98 or somesuch, but it's very difficult to justify spending the money.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:16 AM   #19
Colokeb

Estate Sale 2009

Did get Colt Battle of Marne 1911 Commemorative, two 1500's Samurais, and a 1935 Colt Super 38 made 1935, paid for with $1250 from a quick HELOC Loan.

Froze up on cash....blinked... passed two NIB Colt WW2 Commemorative European and SS Pacific Theater 1911s I could have had for another $900. Still kick myself.
Old April 9, 2013, 10:51 AM   #20
Armorer-at-Law

If one of us had a crystal ball that would show the future, he/she would be rich. If all of us had a crystal ball, it would be the same as now.

Sometimes we are smart; sometimes we are lucky. Sometimes we are neither.

Whether as a toy, as a financial investment, or as an investment against future times, we buy what we need/want and can afford today.
Old April 9, 2013, 11:27 AM   #21
lcpiper

Hmmm, The ....
SPAS-12
Desert Eagle .357 Mag
GALIL in 5.56mm
6" Colt Python in Bright Stainless
Old April 9, 2013, 11:43 AM   #22
mrray13

I can remember the DuQuion Gun Show having many 1903 for $150-200, and my boy wanting one. I was looking at a MAS converted to .308 for $250, bought a Tec9, yes, I know, instead for $275. Told myself there were millions of the 1903 and Garands, etc, would pick one up later. Yeah..smart. Don't regret the semi auto MAS though...

When I got my 4" Python, the LGS also had a 4" 58 for about $150 less, wish I could've bought both!
Old April 9, 2013, 11:47 PM   #23
Frasier

Right before the panic buying, I saw a brand new Cimarron 1911 45acp for $399.99 at my local Cabelas. I did not have the funds at the time, and would have gladly sold off some my gold watch an old girlfriend of mine gave me years ago had I known....
They also had Glock magazines on sale for $13 each....