The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 27, 2009, 03:55 PM   #26
max it

sell in CA

Hi Ruffian,

I am in SoCal.
If you are here I can steer you to a good gun shop or auctioneer to do the work for you.
Seperately I can possibly buy any 9mm pistols if you want to sell seperately.
Anyway I would be glad to help. Private Message or email me.

Good luck,

Max
Old July 27, 2009, 05:23 PM   #27
Sevens

Ammo is indeed a different ballgame, but I do want to make one point known:

Weatherby rifles (for the most part!) are chambered in Weatherby calibers. That's ammo that hard to find and horribly expensive. No other guns (outside of customs) use them. So if there is Weatherby ammo in with all the ammo, you should at least separate that out and give the buyer of the rifle the option of buying that ammo.

Any guy with half a working head on his shoulders will want that particular Weatherby ammo, and very much so.

Now... was your Dad a reloader? If so, he's got a heap of tools and brass and components, all of which is also sought after. With that stuff, I could likely help quite a bit in pricing it and selling it would be no more difficult than an Ebay or Ebay-type auction. The powder and primers can't easily be shipped to buyers, but all the other goodies can be.
Old July 27, 2009, 06:59 PM   #28
Ruffian

Sevens, good tip on the Weatherby ammo thing. Knowing Dad, there will be plenty of extras of everything.

As far as Dad being a reloader...I'm not sure what you mean, except it involved tools, which means, I can hear his laughter from here. Dad was a mechanical engineer (in fact, he was literally a rocket scientist at an aerospace corp--I love that his business card said "Chief Rocket Scientist"), and was constantly building, enhancing, crafting, tweaking anything and everything. That to say--if being a reloader means there are tools involved, I can virtually guarantee he had them. Now, he had a ton of all kinds of tools that we've since dispensed with; whether those tools were in with the others, or in the gun safe, shall remain to be seen.

max it, the impression I get from Mom is she's not really wanting to sell things separately. She'd like them all to be gone, and not have the hassle and worry about proper selling (I read that guns cannot be sold private party to private party in CA--is this true?). That said, I know Dad has at least one 9mm in his collection. Feel free to PM me the names of reputable gun shops and auctioneers. Thanks!
Old July 27, 2009, 07:16 PM   #29
zxcvbob

Who is the executor of the estate? Are there any heirs that live outside of California?

There is a loophole (I hate that word) in the federal gun laws that allow guns -- even handguns -- that pass intestate to bypass the normal federal firearms license rules. That out-of-stater could just come take posession of the guns if the executor decided that he was the rightful heir, and drive them back home. I don't know if California complicated things, but I would think (IINAL) that once they were out of CA, you could thumb your nose at California. They could then be sold in his home state, and if he's an honest guy, some of the money given back to the other cousins, etc. That is, if he's not a scoundrel. (inheritances bring out the worst in people)

This would be better just for dealing with any guns you can't otherwise legally sell in California. Hopefully this will give you some ideas when talking the estate's attorney. Good luck to you.
Old July 27, 2009, 07:26 PM   #30
Ruffian

zxcvbob, my mother is executor (although really, the will simply says everything goes to her; when she is gone, I am executor :::shudder::. There is one heir (sister) out of state, but she is in Illinois, which from what I hear tell, is one of the three evil states around here.
Old July 27, 2009, 07:30 PM   #31
Ruffian

Uh-oh. I just mentioned the "reloader" thing to hubby, and he said, "Oh yeah. Oh yeah, he was a reloader. But they got rid of all that stuff in the garage." :::I give a look of horror::: Hubby: "Oh yeah. It was a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]load of stuff, too."

Had a feeling that probably happened.
Old July 27, 2009, 08:13 PM   #32
Sevens

Reloading is a hobby that goes right along with shooting. At it's most basic, it's taking an empty brass cartridge case (a "shell"), putting a new primer in it (the little piece that explodes when hit), putting x amount of smokeless powder in it and topping it off with a jacketed or lead bullet.

Some folks start reloading because they believe that it will save them money over buying ammo at the gun store. For a select few, it does do that.

For the hobbyists and the tinkerers, it becomes a whole operation that boils down to making SUPREME ammo for our guns, better than what we can buy at the store, and it's a very relaxing and enjoyable hobby that's kind of like a way for us to be doing "gun stuff" without being on the range, making noise, destroying targets, etc.

You certainly don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a decent reloader, but I could see where it might help!

*oops, I wrote this and forgot to submit, then now read your last post.
Old July 27, 2009, 09:23 PM   #33
Gbro

With him being a reloader adds more uncertainty to any ammo you have possession of.
It is highly recomended that any reloads should not be fired by anyone other than the one who reloaded the ammo and then only in the firearm it was loaded for. Sure some do not follow those reccomendations and that is just the nature of people.
All said ammo should be dis-assembled for the components only. Even the Weatherby unless it is very evident that it wasn't reloaded.
There is no intention of any kind questioning his skills or judgments.

Last edited by Gbro; July 27, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:47 PM   #34
Ruffian

Just a lil' update:

Tomorrow my husband, a friend of his who is a hunter by hobby, and I are heading over to my mom's to catalogue Dad's gun collection and get a feel of what exactly is there. I will bring my digital camera and will likely update here as I learn what he has.

Hubby's friend has expressed interest in many of the guns (even though he doesn't know what they are) and the gun safe, so via a dealer he just might be taking some of them later on. FTR, this friend is someone of great integrity who I trust--I do not think for an instant he's going to be trying to mislead us or rip us off. He's going to give us his insight (as well as triple-check they're unloaded) and guidance. I'm actually glad he may be taking some of them; Dad would love that a friend of the family would be using them, and looooooooove that it's a fellow hunter.

I'm learning some fascinating things about Dad...apparently, he was a helluva shot. He had a scope custom-made by Some Big Name Guy who he once competed with in some sort of shooting competition. He managed to beat the guy in one (or maybe 2-3) of the individual events, though not even close in the overall. Dad also tended to bring home plenty of elk frm his Colorado hunting trips--at least one each season, and one year it was three--while his comrades would get one between them. Dad would share the meat. Pretty cool.

I'll post what I learn here tomorrow. We'll be there pretty much all day.
Old August 1, 2009, 05:56 PM   #35
langenc

I recently ran into a shooting buddy and he told me about a recent purchase. I told him he ought to be ashamed of stealing from that widow. He said she gave him a good deal on one, cause he helped her sell several at prices that were fair to buyer & seller. Nothing wrong with that.
Old August 1, 2009, 10:37 PM   #36
Michiana1

Okay, this is what you need to be carefull of. A guy could come in and offer you what wll sound like alot of money for the whole package. Then turn around and sell them one by one and make a killing.
A gun store may do the same even if you try to get them to sell on consignment. They could themself "fake" purchases and buy them off you only to resell at a large profit. You need to do some research on your own. You can run the serial numbers for the age and get model numbers off the firearms. Then order this online for $30

https://store.bluebookinc.com/ECom/L...%3d5&product=5

You can look at each one and get an idea of the condition etc. 90% 95% 100%

Then find a gunstore and ask them to sell on Gunbroker.com start each auction at 25% less than the value you come up with. Have them relist the ones that don't sell at a slightly lower reserve or auction start. Be carefull, ALOT of guys take advantage of the uneducated gun sellers.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:34 AM   #37
M4Sherman

Names, Manufacturer's, models and pictures and it is possible someone here can give you a "ballpark" figure on the price.
Old August 2, 2009, 12:43 PM   #38
Ruffian

Okay, here we go

Here is the list of everything we found:

Rifles
Remington Model 40XBR w/Leopold scope #
2 Huntsman 45 caliber Harrington/Richardson Inc.
CF Mossberg & Sons Inc. New Haven Connecticut Model 185 K-A 20 gage 2 3/4in (unable to locate serial #)
Winchester Model 90 22L Rifle
Remington Model 788 # (Weaver scope mounts, but no scope)
WW2 British infantry gun (no brand or model name visible) V(upside-down) O, then ; England engraved on it
Gamo made in Spain w/scope
Winchester 22 model 190 serial #
Remington 22 short-long rifle 550-1 serial #n/a
Renegade 50 caliber “Thompson Center Arms” black powder only

Handguns
KBI 380 unable to locate serial #
2 Derrringer Philadelphia (black powder) “Jukar” serial #
Russian handgun 1j70-17A BHC 4812 “Made in Russia by Imez” serial #
45 caliber revolver Sturm-Ruger … Ruger Vaquero Serial #
22 Smith & Wesson Model 22A 22 Long Rifle serial #
Colt official police long rifle
Ruger 22 New Model Single-Six serial #
38 Smith & Wesson Rifle Special CTG serial#
Derringer Miami FL 38cal #
Mondial model 1960 22 caliber 22 made in Italy
CMC #
Armsport inc model 5019 black powder #34 serial #
Unknown make serial # Italy

Our friend is interested in the Winchester model 90 22L. What is a better-than-fair-but-not-giving-it-away price? Any clue? I Googled, and was stunned to find a few for $1000.

I have pics of all of them, but that would take forEVER to post...I'm hoping this is, in and of itself, enough to help with pricing. My sister unexpectedly brought friends and now I'm confused as crap because everyone is nosing around, and I'm trying to put a foot down (gently) to get values before anyone buys anything.

Last edited by Ruffian; August 2, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: removing serial #s
Old August 2, 2009, 01:39 PM   #39
Chuck24

That is a nice list of guns. I don't know much about values, but I can guarantee you our friends on here will be able to help. I DO know about relatives though. You should take charge and /or posession if the law in Califronia allows. Once "friends" or even shady "relatives" start nosing around things start walking off. You should insist to sis and mom that 1 person needs to handle everything, no matter who it is. I am sorry for your loss. My dad passed in April, and based on past experience his guns and ammo had made the move to my place. I know you want to be polite, but sometimes firmness is better. Good luck to you.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:07 PM   #40
freakshow10mm

That Remington 40XB is a serious target rifle and is worth good money, $800-1200 depending on exact configuration plus the scope is at least a $500-600 scope when new.
Old August 2, 2009, 02:31 PM   #41
Ruffian

Excellent tip, Freakshow. Here's what we're doing today: friends are purchasing certain ones for lowball (but not giveaway) prices, and Mom is taking the rest to a consignment shop on Tuesday. What she is selling to the friends she is fairly informed about, and she is honoring Dad in that he would rather our friend have the gun for a deal (not a steal, a deal) than just have the money.

I told Mom what you said about the Remington, and she solidly said that one will go to consignment. (We've already had one of my sister's friends say he had a friend who'd buy them all--I warned her, repeatedly, that was a bad idea...still not sure if that sunk in.) The issue we've been having today was Mom is confused about what she wanted to do (despite what she told me earlier), but now she seems to have a clearer picture. It's hard because I know what *I* want to do, but I have to honor her wishes while still trying to look out for her--hard to do!

Good thing our friend was with us--a few of the rifles were loaded.
Old August 2, 2009, 03:34 PM   #42
M4Sherman

Upload the pics to a Photobucket album and post a link to that

And see if the WW2 British gun looks like a .303 lee Enfeild
Old August 2, 2009, 03:44 PM   #43
BobCat45

The two Ruger single-action six-shooters, in .22 and .45 caliber, might be worthwhile keepsakes should you and your husband be inclined.

The single action revolver is a link to a earlier time, when self-reliant folks provided their own personal security instead of outsourcing it.

The two you list are in useful calibers - .22 is inexpensive, low recoil, excellent for developing marksmanship skills. One can purchase .45 Colt ammunition especially loaded for "Cowboy Action Shooting" to modest pressures and velocities (or one could load such ammunition if one were equipped to do so) - for low recoil. The Vaquero is a strong revolver, capable of handling any factory load in .45 Colt, making it a serious defensive weapon should the need arise.

If life ever throws you a curve ball, you and your husband might find that modest, basic skill at arms is substantially preferable to none at all.

These are a link to your father. Once they are gone, they are gone.

...and, completely off-topic, you may be amused to know that one of my cats used to be named Ruffian - on account of her thick, luxuriant ruff (what would be a mane, on a lion), and because she is feisty. Her name now is Tactical - she is all black, long-haired, and one day I found her curled up with my CAR-15 carbine (matte black, like her). And if you go to buy a pair of boots, a belt, a flashlight, holster, or whatever - if it is matte black it is marked "Tactical" and costs more.

If you keep the revolvers, you will need need to provide safe storage and find a range at which to go shoot, and probably get some basic instruction - but it could be fun and valuable. Just sayin'
Old August 2, 2009, 04:23 PM   #44
Michiana1

yeah he had very good taste
Old August 2, 2009, 04:27 PM   #45
Pietro Beretta

In California you are REQUIRED to go through a Federal Firearms License holder to sell your firearm.

I believe if your going to keep any this is the form you will need to fill out:

http://www.ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/oplaw.pdf

If you do have any rifles that fall under the "assult rifle" status, you wont be able to register or sell that firearm unless its to an FFL holder which he will either buy the firearm off of you, or sell it to an out of state party for you.

I really don't like contacting the CA DOJ about such things, they treat you like a criminal.

Good luck with everything!

Last edited by Pietro Beretta; August 2, 2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:09 PM   #46
Ruffian

Pietro, I stand corrected by our friend who's buying some of the guns--he's buying them via a friend (who I assume is a "FFL" as you described) who will be doing the paperwork/registration/whatever official. I have read my mom several posts from this thread to make sure she remains informed, both on gun values and legalities.

The form you linked appeared only to be for handguns--am I correct? If we inherit in old .22 that really isn't worth much (just was Dad's first gun, so it has that sentimental value), does that form need to be submitted to the DOJ? It's the only gun we're interested in, mainly because Dad wanted my husband to have it.

I appreciate those of you who have PMed me offers for certain guns, but Mom wants this simple as possible, and wants to get all of the guns out of the house ASAP--and the easiest thing for her is to take them to a reputable gun shop on consignment. It looks like that's what she'll be doing later on this week.

How does that work, BTW? Does a 70yro widow just show up w/a trunk load of unloaded guns?? (The place we're going to is closed Sun/Mon, so I cannot call and ask--though I will as soon as they open later this week.) What should she expect when she gets there--what is reasonable? I assume it's a paperwork-o-rama.
Old August 2, 2009, 06:46 PM   #47
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

On behalf of us that Pm'ed you, All that needs done is us to send a post office issued money order, gun is placed in a UPS (not usps) box and sent.

As for my offers, I will add 20 bucks to cover the shipping to my FFL... Flat rate box doen't need one gun per. I am not real up on this as I said, I am not a routine buyer. Your friend could likely help or a gun shop will...
My FFL charges 25 per gun (I asked already) to transfer to me.
Thanks again.
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 07:05 AM   #48
RDak

Ruffian: My only advice to you is to KEEP the Colt Official Police handgun in the family. That is a FINE handgun that you should not sell IMHO.

Without reading all the posts, you should SERIOUSLY think about keeping that handgun IMHO. It is a gem of a handgun that is no longer made. I'd bet your father would agree with me.

ETA: Call the gunshop(s) in advance and ask them what the procedures are. In Michigan, yes, you would just bring in the unloaded firearms for consignment sale once the FFL looks at them. We are FAR more gun friendly in Michigan but I don't see why it would be any different in California for this type of transaction. Afterall, you are going to go through a FFL, as required in California, and he/she will let you know the in's and out's of your situation. I think you'll find out it is not as big a deal as you're thinking right now.

Last edited by RDak; August 3, 2009 at 07:13 AM.
Old August 3, 2009, 10:55 AM   #49
Ruffian

This is the WW2-era British gun:

BTW, through family and family friends, the Winchester model 90 and Mossberg are spoken for...plus four of the handguns. Which four? Um...yeah, I don't remember. Der.
Old August 3, 2009, 11:42 AM   #50
freakshow10mm

That's a Lee Enfield. Market value is between $120 to 150.