The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 10, 2009, 12:20 PM   #1
BWHITT

45 ACP 230gr RN Lead Swaged verses Hard cast

I currently reload with Speer swaged 230 gr RN lead rounds. I put 5.8gr charge of alliant unique powder.

Due to a shortage in bullets I recently purchased a box of hard cast 230gr RN lead bullets. Should I load them the same way I do the swaged bullets or back off on the charge a little.

Alliant powder does not provide any load data for bullets other than Speer. I have been reloading for 8 months so I am still new at this. don’t want to damage my gun or my head… I have loaded about 1500 rounds total.

My understanding is that swaged bullets are softer and seal the barrel better than hard cast. This makes them more accurate than hard cast bullets. If the is true then the charge I use for swaged should create less pressure when used on hard cast. Is it true that the hard cast bullets foul the barrel faster than the swaged?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old June 10, 2009, 05:12 PM   #2
AlaskaMike

Hard bullets will lead the barrel if they're undersize, or if the bore is oversize. Measure the bullets, and if they check out to be .452" I'm sure they'd be fine.

Mike
Old June 10, 2009, 05:43 PM   #3
kraigwy

According to Lyman #49, thats a mild load. Either bullet is safe. If'n I was to change bullets, I load the same powder charge then adjust up or down until I fould the load that is accurate in my gun.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071