The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 16, 2005, 03:17 AM   #1
Bassmechanik

Problem with copper bush while cleaning

Hey guys... Im new here and had a quick question. I was recently cleaning my Glock when I noticed when there is kind of a coppery coat on the underside of the reciever where the bush was used. kind of like the copper running off the brush and onto the gun. It looks ugly and im sure the copper will F sumthing up if I dont take care of it soon. Any one have or has had this problem? how did you solve it.
-Thanks
Old August 16, 2005, 07:08 AM   #2
seed

Is your Glock new? If it is, then the "copper" you see is probably the anti-seize copper-looking dry lube which Glock puts (or put...not sure if they still do it) in the pistol. Most of this can be found on the frame and slide rails...looks like tiny shards of copper.

If what you are describing is this anti-seize factory lube, leave it there. Eventually, almost all signs of it will disappear.
Old August 16, 2005, 09:17 AM   #3
johnbt

Bore cleaners made to clean copper from inside the barrel will eat a brass brush and leave about as much copper as they remove. Try a nylon brush or just use patches.

John
Old August 16, 2005, 02:06 PM   #4
Zekewolf

Bore cleaners containing ammonia will "eat" a brass/bronze brush; however, they won't leave any residue as described by the threadstarter. I believe Seed's got the answer.
Old August 16, 2005, 03:11 PM   #5
Edward429451

If its the factory copper lube, it'll wipe right off. It can be replaced by the copper anti seize available in bike shops, its not dry.

If it doesn't wipe right off, its copper from the brush. A toothbrush and copper cleaner / solvent will take it off.
Old August 16, 2005, 05:21 PM   #6
Bassmechanik

Thanks! Yea, the solvent eats the copper brush and leaves as much copper as it took off. Solvent a patch work will do...thanks guys.
Old August 19, 2005, 01:32 AM   #7
mikikanazawa

Like others have said, Glock applies a copper-based anti-seize lubricant on their guns. It should be removed after Glock's specified break-in period, since it's only supposed to be there until the metal is burnished.

Anti-seize lubes are abrasive and Glock uses it because the slide metal is VERY hard. Without an abrasive break-in lube, the frame rails would probably get unnecessarily worn.
Old August 19, 2005, 06:38 AM   #8
Unclenick
Staff

That's an interesting idea. I wouldn't have thought copper would be hard enough to be abrasive? Nickel based anti-seize, on the other hand, might potentially be pretty abrasive? I use the nuclear grade on rifle barrel threads. Bostik makes its Never-seize brand with a range of base metals, including stainless steel-based anti-seize. For more than you really wanted to know about these compounds, go here.

Nick
Old August 20, 2005, 03:20 PM   #9
Zekewolf

Per Glock's instructions, the anti-seize is only for "break-in", and has absolutely nothing to do with the hardness of Glock's slide. After the first cleaning, just use a good oil (four or five small drops), per Glock's instructions.
Old August 20, 2005, 03:24 PM   #10
Edward429451

The Glock factory guy told me that they consider them to be broken in at around 8000 rounds.