The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 3, 2014, 08:43 PM   #1
Fisher

Scope/Ring mounting tape

When you buy new rings they come with a piece of tape or paper to cushion the scope. When you remove the scope for whatever reason it is not re-usable. What does everyone use to replace the tape when mounting on another gun. Or do you just not use anything.

I always have rings that I have picked up for various reasons. I am just curious if people worry about this and try to replace it.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old September 3, 2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Bennyfatsack

I generally discard tape, alchohol clean mounts and scope and apply a match head size drop or less or sikaflex or a rubberised glue. Also mark lightly with a paint pen on underside to inspect after firing to see if any movement, haven't had one move yet and requires minimal effort to break when scope removed.
Old September 3, 2014, 10:09 PM   #3
arizona98tj

I do not recall ever seeing paper or tape coming with new rings....and over the past half dozen years, I've bought a few sets of rings. What brand do they come on?
Old September 4, 2014, 05:39 AM   #4
Fisher

These happen to be Millet rings. I have seen other rings with then too. I don't recall what brand those were.

Jim
"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and passed on ... or we will spend our sunset years telling our children's children what it was like in the United States when men were free."
~ Ronald Reagan
Old September 4, 2014, 07:52 AM   #5
wogpotter

Electrical tape works for me.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 4, 2014, 08:21 AM   #6
CowTowner

If the scope moves without the "tape", then I use old fashioned friction tape as a replacement. It's the original electrical tape before vinyl came about.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old September 4, 2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Pahoo

Scotch-33 clear electical tape.

Some rings come with a fiber tape, others with some kind of paper. As others have replied, I use clear electrical tape. Specifically, Scotch-33 or equal. The clear will not show and makes for a cleaner trim then the colored. You have to watch some of them for they will act like contact cement, over time and it takes just a little effort to pull them apart. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 5, 2014, 11:55 AM   #8
DPI7800

I don’t use anything at all. A good quality set of rings like say Nightforce has high manufacturing standards with very close tolerances and does not require any tape, paper, glue, caulking or etc. All that needs to be done at most use a lapping bar to verify engagement surface is adequate. Mount scope, torque caps to spec (15inch pounds for NF) and you are good to go. Even on my .338LM I have never had any slippage or movement in the rings.
Old September 5, 2014, 10:40 PM   #9
10-96

The GS I apprenticed with taught me to use masking tape with the cheaper rings. Not so much for what goes on in the firing dept- but for keeping the scope pristine and rub line free from when it's wiggled back and forth and canted this way and that way during it's mounting process. So I still do.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.