The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 6, 2012, 02:21 PM   #51
Deja vu

I am a 357 magnum fan boy so I dont have a dog in this race but if it was me and I was getting a 9mm it would be the subcompact Glock. They work well and are fairly small. To go much smaller you will have to go single stack.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 6, 2012, 02:27 PM   #52
acmagnum1

Give the Walther PPQ 9mm a good look. Sweet trigger and great ergo's.
Sig P232 Stainless 380 ACP
Old October 6, 2012, 03:10 PM   #53
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBid View Post
Regarding the PPQ or P99 for concealed carry:

I tend to advocate finding something you can *always* carry, first. Once you have that covered, finding alternative options for cold weather can be fun.

The PPQ and P99AS are slightly larger than a Glock 19. As much as I love them, they are a little chunky for year-round carry. With heavy clothes, it's considerably easier. If you wear heavy clothing often, these are great options. Still, I wouldn't carry my PPQ every day. My SR9c is considerably more comfortable to pack.
This is true. Just put back my PPQ and been carrying the G19 for a few days. The PPQ is definitely more on the hefty side. Nothing wrong with that. I carry my 226 and G21. Before I put them side by side (the PPQ and G19) I was under the notion they were the same size.

The reason I went with the PPQ was because of the magazine release being impossible to engage when CC-ing. However my Gen 4 Glock 19 has an almost flush with the grip mag release and I'm fine with it. Never accidentally engaged it before like I have with others that ride on my 4:00.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 7, 2012, 01:19 AM   #54
jsiberians

I EDC IWB an LC9 and it fits like a glove. Very easy to conceal and comfortable to shoot and accurate too.
Old October 7, 2012, 09:02 AM   #55
Mr.RevolverGuy

S&W M&P Shield

I had never carried a semi auto before. I spent half my life in love with revolvers. Though I shot many semi auto's in my life the 1911 was my other crutch. But for year round carry I just had not found anything better for me than a J Frame revolver and for many years this J Frame 642 has been my companion(642 Carry Review)

Recently I was able to get one for review for my website and I was just about embarrassed to say the Shield would spend time on my hip as a CCW. Today I still carry the S&W 642 60% of the time but the Shield is capturing the other 40%. S&W Shield Review Range Report
Old October 7, 2012, 09:56 AM   #56
federali

Kahr

Provided you're not a closet mall-ninja, I especially like my Kahr P9. It's very flat and reliable after a mandated break-in. It's also accurate for its purpose.
Old October 7, 2012, 11:57 AM   #57
Sinkhole

This is very subjective. I don't think there is any one best concealed carry 9mm. I believe it's what fits your personal wanted and needs best. There are a lot of really good firearms already mentioned above, but I believe no one handgun is best for every carry situation. I carry my Ruger LCP most often, but when I step up to 9mm I currently carry my FNX-9. I used to carry my Ruger SR9c, but that went, when I was forced to thin the herd during some hard financial times. I am in a rebuilding phase and am trying to optimize my purchases. My next compact will more than likely be a S&W M&P40c. Let me explain. I am leaning this way for several reasons.
  • Size: The M&PXc series are all a really good size firearm and fit my hand really well, which is important. They are also shorter overall than a shield, although .2" wider. IMHO this fits the idea of a multi-role pistol the best. It is a good carry/hd gun as well as fun shooter at the range.
  • Caliber: I am not a huge fan of 40S&W, but by choosing the 40c I can convert to 357sig with simply a barrel change, and 9mm with simply a barrel change and magazine change. 3 calibers in one. The cost is under $200 for the other 2 barrels and a couple 9mm mags. Much more affordable than purchasing 3 different firearms.
  • Accesories: Do to the popularity of the M&P series the accessory market is large. It is easier to find accessories for these than some other models of firearms. Example, night sights & holsters are available from several manufactures, in different configurations. You are not stuck with 1 or 2 choices.

For me its all about bang for the buck now, and this particular firearm fits my needs and wants the best. Your mileage may vary.
Old October 9, 2012, 10:53 AM   #58
FJ4ZROX

For 9mm's, I've carried the following:

EMP
P938
P239
USP-c
G19 or 26
P7M8
Old October 9, 2012, 12:44 PM   #59
Redhawk5.5+P+

Wake up pay attention, he bought a gun a week ago.
Old October 9, 2012, 02:03 PM   #60
hounddawg

Been carrying a Walther PPS in 9mm for about 3 years now, accurate little sucker and it always goes bang when I pull the trigger. If you would consider a .38 my wife has a S&W Bodyguard she loves. If you want even more firepower there is the Springfield XDs in .45 ACP. Just got one of these the other day and it is growing on me, same size as my Walther and it packs a lot of energy

Once again I will go out on a limb here and say I think pretty much all the major manufacturers make a good product. Just find a store there is a good selection and find one that fits your hand and wallet and your sense of asthetics. I have 3 revolvers in the safe and 6 bottom feeders by 5 different manufacturers and they all seem to do what they were made to do
Old October 9, 2012, 03:21 PM   #61
Redhawk5.5+P+

Quote:
If you want even more firepower there is the Springfield XDs in .45 ACP.
Maybe that's what he got.
Old October 10, 2012, 06:25 AM   #62
hounddawg

Quote:
Maybe that's what he got.
oops , note to self - read the entire thread before replying LOL
Old October 10, 2012, 07:39 AM   #63
bikerbill

Kahr PM9 has been my EDC since I got my plastic in '04; has never failed in hundreds of rounds, accurate, easy to shoot, world's greatest trigger for its size, disappears in cargo shorts pocket and is easy to belt carry with either a leather slideon or a kydex paddle holster ... great gun and they now offer a cheaper model which is missing a few bells and whistles but is basically the same gun ...
Old October 10, 2012, 07:43 AM   #64
MikeGunz

I bought a g26 for concealed carry and havent looked back, extremely reliable, compact and combined with a good holster feels like its not even there. The small grip may take a little getting used to or you can just buy a mag grip extension
Old October 10, 2012, 11:33 AM   #65
jsiberians

I CCW IWB a Ruger LC9. It conceals great, accurate, fairly light.
For pocket carry I only feel comfortable carrying in jackets with large pockets.
My wife says it's good for purse carry but prefers the beretta 21a Bobcat.
Old October 10, 2012, 11:47 AM   #66
Redhawk5.5+P+

I love this!

He already bought his gun, an XD45!

It's like shooting pickles in a barrel.
Old October 11, 2012, 08:42 PM   #67
grantman

kahr cw9

hard to beat with iwb, ~1" thick, 7+1 capacity and a smooth da trigger pull. Now that it's cooling off I'm debating on toting my xdm 3.8 9mm with owb.
Old October 12, 2012, 07:14 PM   #68
Tactical Jackalope

Got my 17 on me right now. That feels damn good.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / Colt 70 Series / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / G17 / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Samsung Galaxy SII
Old October 12, 2012, 08:56 PM   #69
915A

I think he should go with a Springfield XDs in .45 ACP : LOL!!!!!!!
Old October 14, 2012, 09:34 AM   #70
Bird3897

Carry the biggest piece you can, depends on time of year and your ability to conceal.
Single Six

Tags
9mm conceal , 9mm suggestions , carry conceal