The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 08:55 PM   #1
10 acre woods

problems crimping 223.

well thought I didn't need a crimp but found a bullet get beet back into the case by cycling. So tried to crimp a few but they are bulging. Any ideas to help solve these problems. It seems that as I am moving die down to crimp right before it bugles it don't seem crimped. yes there is a canalure sp. in the bullet.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:19 PM   #2
243winxb

Brass needs to be trimmed to the same length. A bulge is from having the die turned down to far. (standard dies) To keep the bullet from moving, try to increase neck tension by making the expander .002" or more smaller than bullet diameter. The Lee Factory Crimp die is used by some reloaders. But good neck tension is much better than a crimp.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:39 PM   #3
jepp2

A bulged case means too much crimp. The difference between the correct crimp and bulged case isn't much adjustment. You are looking for this:

Old January 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #4
PA-Joe

You may also want to crimp as a separate operation from the seating to length process. You do this by seating all of the bullets and then removing the seating plug and adjusting the die to crimp.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:08 PM   #5
m&p45acp10+1

I have never seen a bullet set back in .223 from cycling in a semi auto. I have seen one that did not have enough neck tension get shoved into the case when it hung on the feed ramp.

I would say before doing a lot to crimp check the neck tension of the rounds first.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:18 PM   #6
10 acre woods

it was only one but it did shove back into the case. figured a crimp would solve this.
Old January 22, 2012, 10:33 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

If it was just one, how many reloads did you have out of that case. It sounds more like a neck tension if it was only one to me. Though I admit I do not crimp any .223 at all. Mine have worked just fine and dandy in several different AR rifles. Though almost all of mine are fired in my bolt action Savage.
Old January 23, 2012, 01:06 AM   #8
Tim R

Quote:
it was only one but it did shove back into the case. figured a crimp would solve this.
Is this new brass? if not the one case may work hardened. If so, no amount of crimping will solve the problem. I don't normally crimp 223 but if I were loading the bullet in the pic, well it's just screaming to be crimped. What I would do like already said is to trim the brass to the same length. I would seat the bullets and then come back with a light crimp. Oh darn M&P, do ya hear a echo?
Old January 23, 2012, 07:44 PM   #9
10 acre woods

I will have to get a trimmer and try that. thanks all for your help.
Old January 24, 2012, 08:59 PM   #10
Catfish

The only ammo I crimp is some that I shoot in high recoil revolvers. I have never had trouble with any ammo in rifles, except some of my hot rods that get a brass ring in the back of the neck and I have to inside neck ream. When they get loose I just go to a .002 smaller bushing.