The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 5, 2000, 01:20 PM   #1
faiello5

Just shot my first IDPA match today, what a blast. Question: do you use your carry mags or do you have "special" mags that you use and don't care if they get dropped etc?

On one hand, it would make sense to use your carry mags so that if the mag develops a problem, you discover at the range, not in the real world. On the other hand, it makes sense to keep your carry mags free from the abuse. What do you think?

Regards,
Frank

Old August 5, 2000, 04:36 PM   #2
jfrancis

I have 8 or 9 Wilson-Rogers mags that I use for matches and practice. I have an additional 2 mags that came with my Les Baer Commanches that I use for carry. I cycle the carry ammo through these every couple of months just to check everything functions OK.

John Francis
Old August 5, 2000, 09:11 PM   #3
Grayfox

Use what you carry. That's what IDPA is all about.

------------------
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.
Old August 6, 2000, 04:29 AM   #4
Bubba

Greyfox is right to a point. You don't need special equipment to shoot IDPA. That said... I can understand the logic of keeping the mags you bet you life on from getting abused on a regular basis.

Like was mentioned, I use the same type of mags for carry and for competition. But I keep the carry mags in the truck and compete with the practice mags. If you clean your mags regualrly, it should not be a problem to use them in both cases. I just don't get a lot of time to do that. I chose to spend the extra money to keep the carry mags separate.

But I did NOT buy "special gamer mags" just for the matches. (Or gamer boots or gamer holsters or gamer vests....)

Bubba

[This message has been edited by Bubba (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 6, 2000, 03:35 PM   #5
Nukem

Since I shoot SSP (Sig 226), I leave the expensive 15 rnd mags and use the semi-expensive 10 rnd mags since that's all you can load in a mag anyway.
Some of the clubs I shoot at have ranges covered with large rocks and I do hate to drop the mags there. On a turf range it doesn't bother me too much.

Old August 6, 2000, 07:50 PM   #6
GeneS

It's a good idea to use your carry mags. It gives you confidence in their reliability. Just pick your spots to use them and you won't have to dump them in the dirt. Tip: Doing Tactical Reloads it's a lot easier to seat a hi-cap mag downloaded to 10 rounds. Gene
Old August 6, 2000, 09:00 PM   #7
Ned Roundtree

I rotate all magazines. Including mags I shoot in competition and carry. Equipment, all equipment must be used and become comfortable with.

[This message has been edited by Ned Roundtree (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 8, 2000, 01:51 AM   #8
Dr.Rob
Staff Alumnus

Gotta agree use what you carry

Old August 8, 2000, 12:23 PM   #9
jthuang

I agree, use what you carry.

Short story: I was at Insights's General Defensive Rifle class in April and used my Surefire M500A during the low-light portion of the class. Within the first ten rounds of the session, the MN10 bulb blows (practically new out of the box). Fortunately, I was able to swap the MN11 bulb and complete the low-light portion of the class.

Up until the low-light part of the class, I had been using the training plug in place of the lamp unit. If I had waited until I was in a real life situation before using the lamp unit, that would have been a hairy situation indeed.

Moral of the story: use your carry equipment now -- now is the time to find out something isn't working.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 14, 2000, 10:13 PM   #10
ChuteTheMall

Are you actually required to drop your mags in the dirt? Are you not allowed to put your empty mags in your pocket?
Sounds like a risky scheme invented by the mag manufacturers.
Old August 16, 2000, 08:29 PM   #11
9x45

In IDPA, you use your day to day carry gear. If you have hicaps, and you go empty, then drop them in the dirt. What do you think will happen, it it ever does happen to you, when you engage for real? Retaining an empty mag could get you killed... Be sure to retain your partially empty mags, from cover of course.
Old August 17, 2000, 01:19 PM   #12
Ledbetter

At our club, we talked the guy who runs the IDPA shoot into getting some astroturf mats to put on the ground at the reload points. Best of both worlds. BTW, I don't use my carry mags for IDPA because of the rough treatment, but I do practice with them.

Regards,

Ledbetter
Old August 17, 2000, 03:02 PM   #13
Bartholomew Roberts

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 9x45:
In IDPA, you use your day to day carry gear. If you have hicaps, and you go empty, then drop them in the dirt. What do you think will happen, it it ever does happen to you, when you engage for real? Retaining an empty mag could get you killed... Be sure to retain your partially empty mags, from cover of course.[/quote]

If it happened for real, I am sure I would be more concerned about my life than a $50 hicap mag. However, when the threat is only a steel plate, I don't really have the money to throw away on damaged mags.

Seems to me like the smart move is to use reduced capacity or junker mags for IDPA. They work just as same as the expensive stuff for speed reloads.

As long as you function check ALL of your mags, there should be no problem using different carry mags.