The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old April 3, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
boltgun71

Free Appleseed Opportunity for Florida and South Carolina!

Anyone interested in attending the Appleseed shoot in Pensacola, FL on April 18 and 19th or the Appleseed in Gaston(Columbia), SC on May 2 and 3rd for FREE? Women, under 21 and military all ready shoot for free so this will apply to everyone else. I have been permitted to allow one free two day pass for each shoot, a savings of $70 to you! Post here and follow up with a PM to find out how to get your free pass. I only have one pass per shoot so let me know quick! You can not have already registered for either shoot.
Old April 5, 2009, 02:07 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I would like that... For Pensacola of course...
Brent
Old April 6, 2009, 05:13 AM   #3
boltgun71

Ok folks the Pensacola, FL pass has been spoken for by Brent. I still have a FREE pass available for the shoot in South Caroliona! Come on, someone has to want to go to this historic event, South Carolina's FIRST EVER Appleseed event!!
Old April 8, 2009, 07:41 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out why someone hasn't jumped on the other free pass offer! I used the offer to cover myself so I could take my 17 year old daughter who is already free. I would have never known she were free had this offer not been presented! I will make a post of our experience following the event.
My daughter is pretty happy with the offer. She ain't a tent type girl but the chance at a 2 day training event was enuff to push her to ready mode. I think after this event she will have Junior beat in rifleman capacity... and she is a girl!
Brent
Old April 9, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
hounddawg

disregard my PM please, wife said she had already committed me to another event that day and forgot to tell me.
Old April 13, 2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Bolt, I'll send this thread to some of the young SC shooters I know.
Old April 14, 2009, 05:25 PM   #7
Pack

Hey, there. I just got a nice message from Mr. Al Thompson here over on another forum. I'd be very much interested in the opportunity. I've only heard a little about Appleseed shoots' requirements, however. I've got mostly ARs/AKs in intermediate chamberings. Do I need a proper service rifle to participate? I've got an FN-49 I can probably get in working order by that weekend.
Old April 14, 2009, 06:56 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

From what I have read (there website is chock full of info) the rifle isn't so much a concern. I was told that if my daughter has so little open sight experience, to leave the scope on for her. the ammo quantity is important thus the suggestion for .22. Timed segments lean towards semi auto but I will be taking a cheap .22 savage bolt action But ask of bolt when he and you do your email and/or PM...
Brent
Old April 14, 2009, 08:15 PM   #9
boltgun71

Great! It now sounds like all the free Appleseed offers have been taken with Pack being the final one to claim the free pass for South Carolina's historic first ever Appleseed shoot! Thanks to everyone here who helped spread the message.

As for what rifle to bring Pack, a AR or AK would be fine. You will probably find the AR much easier to shoot accurately, make sight adjustments, and do magazine changes with though. The FN 49 would probably be fine too, but I personally have never seen one at an Appleseed. If its all you got then bring it. The better and finer the adjustments on your rifle sights the better off you will be though so bring what you can adjust and shoot the most accuratelly. You can shoot anything really at an Appleseed, it doesn't have to be a Service Rifle at all, and use iron sights or scopes, it doesn't matter. In fact, most of our shooting is done at 25yds so a semi-auto .22, like a Ruger 10/22, is about ideal for the majority of the weekend. It helps to save on ammo costs as well, at a typical Appleseed you can fire between 400-500 rounds a shoot. With that amount of ammo centerfire prices really add up. Lots of people shoot a .22 for the first day and then a centerfire for the second day. Whatever you bring it doesn't hurt to bring a back-up rifle, and make sure to bring spare mags if you have them. If you have anymore questions feel free to ask!