The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
TGuidry

Finally fired the 1851's from Tradition

Had a lot of fun yesterday shooting them. Both of them shot about 3-4 inches high and to the left using 30 grains of Pyrodex P from 13 yards out using 2 hands to steady myself.
I really only fired each one once to check the accuracy after that it was game on!!! I went through about 60 balls I used the powder pellets also in a few rounds with no issues. I also used Bore butter one time on one revolver and then I went back to the wads.
Then back home to clean them which was fun as well. The only other thing that was just as fun was taking my 71 Bronco out to where I shoot (family property near the marsh) and having to make sure the 4 wheel drive was still working
Old January 26, 2013, 09:22 AM   #2
Beagle333

Inspirational!

That sounds like so much fun, I may load up one of the '51s today myself and burn some powder. (along with the '60, of course)

I wish I still had my '72 Bronco to mud ride in, while going shooting. Fun times....fun times...
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:29 AM   #3
deerslayer303

Awesome! When you were loading those pellets did you feel like you were crushing them? I used those pellets one time and I felt like every time I rammed the ball home the pellet seemed like it was getting crushed to me. They all fired fine though. I haven't used them since, I still have most of the box left. Also since your truck is a "Bronco" You could do some doughnuts in the mud while hanging your '51 out of the window firing it up in the air. Just a modern steel horse.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
TGuidry

Slayer the thought did cross my mind about donuts and firing from the Bronco.
When using the pellets I didn't notice any crushing but then I was setting the ball on the pellet firm but not too much pressure.
Old January 26, 2013, 09:52 AM   #5
Beagle333

Quote:
the thought did cross my mind about donuts and firing from the Bronco.
You gotta lead about 4-1/2 feet to the right to hit anything..... or so I've read.
Have a Colt and a smile.