The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 6, 2012, 02:01 AM   #1
xix19

S & W M&P 45

Looking to get my first handgun and was wanting to get the m&p 45. What should I be looking for when purchasing this weapon? Also what else should I purchase to go along with the 45? Like must have accessories and stuff like that?
Old December 6, 2012, 02:46 AM   #2
chris in va

While 45 is a great round, might I suggest you look at the 9mm version as a first handgun. Less recoil, ammo costs less. You'll be shooting hundreds of rounds and costs add up quickly.

You'll need the usual gear...range bag, cleaning supplies, muffs etc. it would be best if you took a safety course first, so you know how to properly handle a potentially deadly tool. I certainly did a few stupid things for a couple weeks until I learned about trigger discipline and sweeping.
Old December 6, 2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Billy Shears

Quote:
Unless they've fixed the issue, be prepared for the white dot to come off the front sight. I read about it and thought it was just internet talk. Then the next time I went to shoot, it happened to mine. I bought a paint pen and painted it back on.
The M&P45 is my go-to pistol for camping, hiking and all outdoor activities. It carries comfortably, shoots reliably and accurately and is pretty nearly indestructible.

That being said, my little white dot disappeared the very first time I pulled the trigger, but that was 7,000 rounds ago and it hasn't bothered me. I put a little drop of bright red nail polish where the dot used to be and kept going.

Like another members mentioned, the 9mm may be a very wise way to go too. The cost of ammo is a huge factor these days. More ammo = more practice = improved skills and familiarity with your weapon. Don't overlook that.
Old December 7, 2012, 11:35 PM   #4
Rmart30

the 45 is a fine firearm but I agree with the others to start with a M&P 9mm, or even the M&P 22 to learn on. I have the 22 and its a fine trainer and much cheaper to shoot.
Old December 8, 2012, 02:06 AM   #5
jmstr

I have an M&P 9c and M&P .45 full sized.

The 'must have' change I did was what I had to have. I don't believe it is a must for all people.

I had to have the Apex DCEAK trigger/sear setup installed, with Apex's RAM device in the 9c [my .45 has a thumb safety so the RAM won't work]. This removed ALL grit/creep from the trigger, except that flex I felt from the actual plastic of the trigger moving.

Other than that I'd say ammo.

I also concur that a 9mm or .22lr is a better first gun, or a better frequent shooter. That said I don't think the .45acp is as bad of a first gun as the .40S&W. The .45acp may cost more to shoot, but my experience is that the .40S&W round has the worst feeling recoil of the three [9/40/45] and it caused me to develop a bad flinch that took me 5 years to get rid of.
Old December 8, 2012, 07:24 PM   #6
dean1818

I have an M&P 45c, and I love it

Buying American made, wherever I still can