The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 15, 2012, 04:32 PM   #1
bspillman

Cant decide on a finish.

Hey folks. I was thinking of refinishing my CZ 82 but cant decide on which finish to do it in. A buddy of mine showed me a revolver that he had removed the bluing and then just polished the steel and it looked good. Has anyone ever done this on a semi auto or is this a mistake due to rust purposes or can anyone recommend something, pics would be nice if possible.
Old October 15, 2012, 05:24 PM   #2
drail

If it is carbon steel and you remove the finish then you will have to keep it oiled ALL OF THE TIME. I have done it on comp guns to get everything fitted correctly and sent it off for refinish at the end of the summer season. If you wipe it off every single time you handle it rust won't be a huge problem. But it should have some kind of finish. I have used industrial clear enamel just to keep my sweat from corroding bare steel frame. It won't last long but offers some protection.
Old October 15, 2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

Gun refinishing is not a home project. Leave it to professionals.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:44 AM   #4
drail

Well yeah, if you want a professional finish and have the money. Not everyone does.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:49 AM   #5
moxie

Agree on not leaving the steel bare, unless it's stainless.

For DIY probably your best option is bluing. Research the net on it. and here's an inexpensive kit:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/860...h-instructions

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old October 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #6
KevK.

I suggest saving up your pennies. If you try to do it yourself, you might end up very disappointed. Sucks to end up hating a gun due to a bad refinish job.

You can get a refinish from anywhere from $120 and up (depending on finish). If you want some more ideas check the cz forum in the CZ82 section.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:54 AM   #7
gak

Severn's Hard Hat or Robar hard coat finishes. I like the Dan Wesson Valor or Ed Brown factory coated guns - for an idea of a nice satin black look either of the above finish companies can do (among many other looks they can provide).
Old October 17, 2012, 08:02 PM   #8
larryh1108

I have polished a semi and like how it turned out. I got one of the BHP Inglis sets when Numrich was selling them. I wanted to refinish it so I hand polished it down to the bare steel. It was so impressive that I figured I'd love to capture the beautiful steel as it was. I went online and found a clear coat like they use on cars. Below is the process from start to finish. The Clear Coat link is at the bottom. Although the clear coat clouded up a bit of the lustre I still like how it turned out. 3 years later it still looks like it did when I finished it with about 1500 rounds thru it. The only flaws is the clear coat wore off on a few spots on the grip. The after picture is from a few months ago. The beauty is I can always have it refinished if I change my mind.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...-prod1164.aspx

Last edited by larryh1108; October 17, 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

No offense, Larry-but yours is a classic example of why not to try home refinishing.
Old October 17, 2012, 09:46 PM   #10
larryh1108

No offense taken but it wasn't meant to be a restoration to original condition. It was meant to be a cheap shooter that was different. Like I said, it would take nothing to have it refinished professionally if the need ever drove me. However, since I didn't have the matching barrel it never would have been original, just a nice "replica" so I figured I had nothing to lose. At least the OP can get an idea of how it would turn out. Nothing fancy or special but the price was right. The frame and slide was $89. As you can see in the original picture, it could not be left the way I got it so I had nothing to lose.
Old October 18, 2012, 05:37 PM   #11
chris in va

Friend of mine polished off the polycoat of his CZ P01, mainly a couple leading edges and the slide release. No rust yet after a few months, and it looks fantastic.

I wouldn't have the nerve to do it with mine though.
Old October 18, 2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Dragline45

I have a Ruger 22/45 that looked ROUGH after a camping trip. I took the bluing off and brushed the steel untill I get around to Duracoating it. I rub it down in oil once every week or two and haven't seen a spot of rust since the 6 months I have done it. I live in New England too where it can get pretty wet and humid. It's only temporary but like I said I have seen no ill effects so far.
Old October 19, 2012, 03:34 AM   #13
oldandslow

bs, 10/19/12

Refinishing a firearm can be done for aesthetics or protection or both. Some of it depends on where you live and what you will use the gun for. While I like a blue finish since I live in the tropics and sweat a lot I need a rust-resistant finish. I pick factory Stainless Steel when I can or refinish with Hard Chrome (electroless nickel is also a good choice). I have had fourteen pistols and rifles done in Hard Chrome at a place called Techplate (www.techplate.com). The work is excellent, the prices more than fair and their turn around time back to me is usually 3-4 weeks. I have two blued slides there as we speak (SW 5904 and Beretta 92 compact). Their email response is great- fast and friendly- from a guy named Marshall. Take a look at your options and then choose something that will work for you.

I'm also of the opinion that the professional refinishers can do a better, longer lasting job than one done at home. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow
Old October 20, 2012, 01:26 AM   #14
factoryrat

I would have some sort of plating or finish applied by a professional. I have heard good things about; CCR-Refinchings, Robar, and Customized Creationz.
Old October 20, 2012, 01:13 PM   #15
marklmurray

Two words: Rust Blue

2012-08-19_20-16-18_348 by 69murray, on Flickr

A word of caution: The CZ-82 is a pain to reassemble, but not impossible. There are lot's of good resources (YouTube, etc.), that can step you through it. Do plenty of research and make sure you're ready before you get started.

If you have patience and can boil water, you can produce the toughest 'blued' finish there is.

I did this one a few months ago, and I'm currently working on doing the same finish on an old, badly beaten up Ruger Speed Six.