The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 15, 2009, 09:43 PM   #1
Newton24b

colt strength

is there a good calculation for the amount of stress that the threads on the arbor pin will withstand before failure occurs?
Old November 16, 2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

I think so

Newton,

Try Mark's Mechanical Engineering Handbook. But be careful. I think that what you will find only covers fasteners or fittings made of materials of known characteristics. That may be somewhat different from the resistence to failure in the arbor. Many variables may not be covered and so what you wind up with may be a rather wide range of values that represents failure mode parameters.

Tnx,
Old November 16, 2009, 09:33 AM   #3
madcratebuilder

The "Machinery's Handbook" is the bible for this kind of information. New editions are spendy, used ones are affordable. My 23rd edition is 2500 pages, I bet the newest edition is over 3k.

Like Doc said you have to know what your working with before you can get accurate info. You could assume you are working with mild steel and be in the ball park.

The failure of the arbor threads is not a normal problem. The frame threads can become battered but that is caused by other problems, like excessive barrel gap, poorly fit arbor to barrel lug and poor quality of initial assembly.