The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 13, 2014, 07:49 AM   #1
zach_

Supressor prices

Check out the story attached to the link below. Looks like a suppressor can be produced for less than $29.00 each. Makes you wonder.

TFL peeps, please delete if this is outside of the rules here.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...4bf_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/...0c0_story.html

Last edited by zach_; October 13, 2014 at 07:56 AM. Reason: additional info on second link
Old October 13, 2014, 08:24 AM   #2
MarkCO

Sure, suppressors have a huge markup...supply and demand. But I doubt you can make a good one for $30. There is a local series 7 I know of selling 9mm suppressors for about $250 with a lifetime warranty. When you shoot it out, he will just rebuild it. He has about $50 in them and figures most won't get shot enough to fail. Glock made some that retail for about $150 (not available in US) that only last for about 150 rounds.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:49 AM   #3
zach_

Does your company sell these $250.00 supressors? That sound reasonable. Well, I guess then you have the $200.00 *** tax, plus sales tax, transfer fee, shipping and handling, never mind. I will just keep wearing plugs and muffs all the time.
Old October 13, 2014, 08:56 AM   #4
MarkCO

No, I do not sell them, and would not recommend them either. With the $200 tax, you want something that will last from a proven company, not rebuilds every few hundred rounds.
Old October 13, 2014, 12:22 PM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Moving this one to the NFA subforum.
Old October 13, 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
zach_

Wow, I was not aware that a supressor would wear out. Since you do not sell these items, what is the starting point of useable suppressor in your opinion.

Is there a supressor that would work with 22 shot shells. A shooter at a range told me that a 22 supressor would not work, and actually was dangerous with shot shells. I want to control snakes in the yard without getting the law involved when a shot would be fired. I have to remove several snakes from my yard every spring.
Old October 13, 2014, 05:21 PM   #7
MarkCO

.22 suppressors are from about $180 to maybe $500. Centerfire pistol from about $300 to $1000 and centerfire rifle from about $600 on up to crazy.

Silencerco just came out with a 12 gauge suppressor, but not birdshot. You are not going to find a suppressor that will work for .22 birdshot. However, if it is against the law to fire a round, it is against the law, suppressed or not.
Old October 13, 2014, 05:39 PM   #8
Machineguntony

The fact that a silencer costs $30 to manufacture is quite irrelevant. For example, the bottle of Coke you buy at the super market for $2 has only about 5 cents worth of product in it. There is workman's costs, transport, R&D, advertising, and other associated costs beyond the actual cost of production.

The real mark up comes from the inability of silencer manufacturers to sell to a broader public. If ATF dropped silencers from the NFA list, the cost would go down significantly, by at least 50%. How do I know this? I don't. I'm just having fun speculating because these things are fun to talk about. I'm pretty sure that I saw the 50% number from somewhere on the internet, which is never wrong.
Old October 13, 2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Mobuck

Apparently, a large part of the mark-up is to cover the costs of jumping through BATFE hoops to make the darned things legal.
In addition, it's a fairly narrow niche market AND many of the dealers feel they have a somewhat captive market. I talked to an NFA dealer a while back and he was about as snotty as any business man I've encountered. His comment was "NFA items are expensive so if you can't afford the price, don't waste my time". He was pricing suppressors at retail plus ??%. I decided I could drive 100 miles to deal with another guy and walked out.
Old October 14, 2014, 01:26 AM   #10
skizzums

what's unsettling about the article is what were the silencers contracted for? is it saying that the guy that ordered them contracted his brother to build them?
Old October 14, 2014, 08:49 AM   #11
zach_

@ Marco , I have respect for the law. People shoot snakes, and coyote in some areas around here with 12 ga. Shotguns. Always causes a stir. I want to avoid the stir. The police would let it go if the shot was heard and a snake or coyote carcass is present. Yes we have coyote in the middle of the dfw metroplex where there is adequate habitat in the area. I do not have coyote here. The area is fully developed. I would not buy an illegal suppressor. Marco, 95 points or more of margin on a silencer purchased online, no storefront, charging for shipping, add a $200.00 mystery tax, ....... is a criminal act in my opinion. That opinion has cost me a job in another industry in the past. Excessive margins cost a former employer 3/4 of a group of accounts that they paid millions of dollars for. The remaining accounts laid down the pricing they were willing to charge an end user, in line with previous margins. That one pricing decision nearly buried the company. I am curious to see how the suppressor market plays out. The gun buying public does seem to forgive and forget quickly.
Old November 8, 2014, 04:17 AM   #12
Geezerbiker

Want to see what the cost without regulation, just take a look at what they cost in countries where they're not regulated. I don't get the NAZI like regulation of suppressors but that's the way it is...

The only way I can afford one is to go through the paper work to make it myself. The $400 for a mini lathe would be worth it because I could use it for other projects later on...

Tony
Old November 8, 2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Skans

You can have an oil filter suppressor for about $10 + $200 stamp + about $50 for the adapter.
Old November 9, 2014, 04:08 AM   #14
Geezerbiker

Does that actually work?

Tony
Old November 9, 2014, 05:39 AM   #15
skizzums

heck yeah they work. not so great on fast calibers though. but sub sonic stuf, the oil filters work great. I am not going to condone any illegal activity, but they sll the attachments fr about 15 bucks all over amazon.....they claim for "gun cleaning fluid containment"
https://gunthreadadapters.com/shop/u...s3786-filters/
Old November 9, 2014, 08:40 AM   #16
Machineguntony

Weird how ebay doesn't allow gun sales but allow sales of these items, which are potentially illegal.
Old November 9, 2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
You can have an oil filter suppressor for about $10 + $200 stamp + about $50 for the adapter.
Yeah, but you can't legally change out the filter; you have to send it to a properly-licenced manufacturer and have them do it for you.

When you have a registered oil filter silencer adaptor, it's supposed to come with one oil filter. The ATF considers that oil filter a silencer part just like the baffles on a regular silencer. And, just like you can't legally change out the baffles on a regular silencer, you can't legally change out the filter on an oil filter silencer when it wears out. When the filter wears out, you're supposed to send the whole thing back to the manufacturer for them to switch it for you. Last I checked, most companies only charged about $25 for the switch.

Sure, most owners of oil filter silencer adapters probably change out the filter themselves without ever getting caught, but that doesn't mean it's legal.
Old November 9, 2014, 06:07 PM   #18
Machineguntony

[redacted due to my question being answered]

Although, I am going to check with said person who provided my original info.

Last edited by Machineguntony; November 9, 2014 at 06:21 PM.
Old November 9, 2014, 06:15 PM   #19
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
My understanding is that the only part of a silencer that is integral and considered to be the actual silencer is the part that holds the serial number. Any part without a serial number can be replaced, sold, shipped, etc.
That is wrong.

It's that misconception that the manufacturers of "solvent trap adapters" exploit. Under the law, a silencer is,

Quote:
any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication. [18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24)]
Old November 9, 2014, 06:36 PM   #20
zach_

Looks like the link above could give you the opportunity to spend some quality time with some lonely convicts. No thanks. The price of suppressors still irks me.
Old November 10, 2014, 12:19 PM   #21
Geezerbiker

As it does me. Silencers are way over regulated in this country and no politician is willing to do anything about it no matter how much we complain...

I can see buying one of those adapters if you go through the process of setting up a trust to make your own silencer first and then use it as the end part so you don't have to learn to make the part that screws on the gun.

I'm a little afraid to buy one without the trust first for the fear of strange knocks on the door in the wee hours of the morning. If I ran across one at a gun show for a cash purchase, I'd think about it...

Tony
Old November 10, 2014, 01:24 PM   #22
Tom Servo
Staff

Biker, the adapter isn't the restricted item. You can buy and affix whatever kind of "adapter" you like on the barrel. The restrictions kick in when you affix something to the adapter that reduces noise, like the tube and baffles.

That's the problem with these "solvent trap adapters." People are being led to believe the nut is the restricted part, and that they can just screw an oil filter on. That is emphatically not true.