The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Closed Thread

Old August 17, 2011, 12:19 AM   #51
Bamashooter

Wow jim 243 everything you just said about mini-14's is a flat out lie. I have never seen a used mini for 250-300 bucks. There are tons of magazines for them. The promag is almost as good as the ruger mag which is awesome. I paid less than $22 for the ones I have. The rings that come with every mini are very good rings, at least mine are. I can shoot 1.25'' groups all day long even after the barrel heats up thanks to the accustrut. Thats way better than poor accuracy in my opinion. With 1.25'' groups what can you and your AR kill at 300yrds that I cant with my mini? I wouldnt consider it a poor mans AR, I would consider it a very good alternative for anyone who doesnt want an AR.
Overall your post was way off. Im sure nobody will argue with that.
Old August 17, 2011, 12:46 AM   #52
Jim243

Quote:
Im sure nobody will argue with that.
I would, I bought mine for $350.00 used. And it took me 2 years to get it to shoot accurately only after I used a B-Square mount ($75.00) on the side. The mounts and I had to purchase my rings were and are crap. And your accustrut what an extra $90.00 to stablize the barrel, yes I looked at them, but was not spending a dollar more on that gun. And yes I have 2 AR's and 300 yards is short range for them.

Jim

And this one's is a 0.5 MOA to 500 yards which is no great shakes since it is a 2.5 inch group, I can do much better than that on a calm day.

Last edited by Jim243; August 17, 2011 at 12:58 AM.
Old August 17, 2011, 01:10 AM   #53
Bamashooter

A little over $90 actually. Im not complaining because it stopped the stringing of shots after the barrel heated up. People spend money everyday to get their rifles to shoot better. Im no different. I bought the accustrut, had a trigger job done, retorqed the gas block and added recoil buffers. My mini along with most of the newer 580 series and up models are very good rifles. I only said 300yrds because I dont shoot anything but paper beyond that range with the .223 round. Your experience with the rings isnt the norm. If you dont like the mini just say so and stop badmouthing them.
Old August 17, 2011, 06:15 PM   #54
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Enuf. Rest assured this topic will play Phoenix and rise from the ashes...
Closed Thread

Tags
.223 , ar15 , comparison , ruger mini 14 , semi auto