The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 3, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
CarolinaMountainMan

S&W .44 Mag 629-2 7.5 SS Wisdom Sought

I am new to the .44 MAG world... The other day I had a S&W .44 to fall into my hands for $400.00... Right off the bat with that price and 350 FMJ/HP 240 grain rounds of ammo, and a holster, I jumped on it... It is a M629-2 (sn# N06XX) with a 7.5 inch barrel (non-tapered), smooth chamber cylinder exterior, red-tipped front sight, black rear... It is full stainless and has Hogue Monogrip rubber fitted/notched handle grips... Please note that it also has groved trigger and hammer surfaces... The gun has been fired though looks hardly used, cherry if you will... I believe this model to have been introduced by S&W in 1967 though can find no more information on it so far (need the S&W catalog I guess)... No exact pictures if you will...

One comment made by the preious owner is that it get a little stiff when it heats up... DAH... Now you know what I do... It is a Magnificent looking weapon... BEASTLY if you will !!!!!

Soon gonna hit the hills to check it out further...

Should anyone out there care to share some wisdom, history and perfomance stuff, it would be highly appreciated... I am at a loss... Thanks...

Last edited by CarolinaMountainMan; January 3, 2010 at 01:12 PM. Reason: clarity
Old January 3, 2010, 12:28 PM   #2
Ozzieman

I jumped on it
If you hadn’t there are a lot of people here that would have doubted your sanity.
That’s not a GOOD buy that's a steal.
Having a large number of N frame S&W's my only suggestion would be for some one with a new 629 that has little experience with a 44 mag would be to start with a box of 44 specials.
That gun with those heavy bullets will let you know what recoil is all about. It can also start you on the road to flinching.
Put a box of 44 specials through the gun and get a feel for it first.
One question, the 350 rounds are they factory or reloads?
If they are reloads and you don’t know who reloaded them,,,,, they may or may not be safe.
Just a word of caution.
Even without the ammo that’s still a great price,,,
Welcome to TFL.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:03 PM   #3
CarolinaMountainMan

Thanks for the input Ozzieman...

This .44 MAG truly looks like a BEAST, or shall I say, Beast Salyer... The ammo is from AmmoDirect and I believe them to be their house brand, and new... Had considered the .44 Special loads to begin with, just wanted to make sure they would work properly, figured they would, you just cleared that up for me it seems...

With a N06XX serial number I believe this to be of 1969 vintage... Found an article that says S&W began using the "N" preface for their serial(s) then... The number seems low enough to me to assume...

Any idea what this thing (629-2) is actually worth ???
Old January 3, 2010, 01:08 PM   #4
CarolinaMountainMan

PS Ozzieman...

This DEAL came from a fellow that needed MAG wheels for his flat track motorcycle... Imagine that...
Old January 3, 2010, 01:28 PM   #5
abber

What else does he need for that motorcycle? I'd be glad to help him out..
Old January 3, 2010, 01:33 PM   #6
CarolinaMountainMan

What Can I Say...

Two MAGS for One Big One... Chuckles... Just in the right place at the right time... Weapon has been in the family since new... I LUCKED Out... Handed down to him... Different priorities I guess...
Old January 3, 2010, 01:49 PM   #7
evenflow80

Thats an amazing deal for such an amazing, classic .44 Mag. I'm officially jealous. What's the condition of the gun??
Old January 3, 2010, 02:00 PM   #8
geetarman

deleted
Old January 3, 2010, 02:09 PM   #9
CarolinaMountainMan

It is the 629-2 as inscribed with N serial number that began with S&W in 1969, lower number too... Condition is like no more than a couple of hundred rounds through it at best, if that, with a loving owner... Beautiful thing...

Still hoping to learn actual value... Not that it will ever go any place other than by my side... ...

Thanks Gang... My very first forum of this nature, this is COOL...

Tags
.44 mag , 629-2 , 7.5 , s&w , ssteel