The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 17, 2009, 08:06 PM   #26
pax

Yeah - I remember how scared I was the first time I disassembled my handgun on my own, in order to clean it. I was terrified I wouldn't be able to get it back together, and then would embarrass myself having to take a bag of parts to the gun store to get help with it! And I was even more afraid I'd put it together wrong, and then carry it around not knowing that it wouldn't work when I needed it ...

The only solution for that is -- do it. Use the manual, follow the instructions step by step, be brave. Once you've done it a few times, it becomes much easier and you'll be much more comfortable around the firearm as you get a better picture how it works.

pax
Old August 17, 2009, 08:08 PM   #27
Phoebe

I have many skills, but mechanical aptitude isn't on the list. OTOH, it didn't look that hard! Thanks, Pax.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:29 PM   #28
Kyo

you need to do it about 10 times to memorize it. its like shaving your legs, or putting on make up. its about repetition. now you are just doing it with metal.
read the instructions and don't stop cause you need that thing re-assembled and working!
after downloading the instruction manual, it really doesn't look that bad at all. pretty easy in fact.
1. rack it back and lock it.
2. take down switch is moved up to 12 oclock
3. ride the slide back down, and pull trigger, then release to unlock slide
4. take off slide.
5. pull the slide so the underside is facing up.
6. hold the spring at the end, pull it back, up, then forward
pull out the barrel. clean it all up, put it all back together. rack 2-3 times to ensure functionality. re-load and enjoy protection
Old August 17, 2009, 08:41 PM   #29
wally626

Quote:
Read the instructions and don't stop cause you need that thing re-assembled and working!
after downloading the instruction manual, it really doesn't look that bad at all. pretty easy in fact.
1. rack it back and lock it.
2. take down switch is moved up to 12 oclock
3. ride the slide back down, and pull trigger, then release to unlock slide
4. take off slide.
5. pull the slide so the underside is facing up.
6. hold the spring at the end, pull it back, up, then forward
pull out the barrel. clean it all up, put it all back together. rack 2-3 times to ensure functionality. re-load and enjoy protection
Step 0, make sure gun is unloaded, you also need to make sure the magazine has been removed, can do it before or after step 1. Do a search on U-tube for "field strip" plus you guns model number, should turn a few hits, watch a few because some guys skip by some steps pretty quick.
Old August 17, 2009, 08:48 PM   #30
m&p45acp10+1

Here is a video demonstration of how to take down an XD. Just do not drop the slide the way that the guy in the video does, slowly pull back the slide and ride it forward.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ob-NpsqXkYE

Here is another that covers mainance of the XD.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-84-ckJEc0
Old August 17, 2009, 09:46 PM   #31
Kyo

wally is right. i shouldn't assume you already unloaded it. drop the mag, then rack the slide.