The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 1999, 01:51 PM   #1
Bennett Richards

I was wondering if anyone might know where I can get a Remington factory over-folding stock for my 870?

Anyone out there use one? Are they any good?

Thanks,

Ben
Old September 24, 1999, 09:56 PM   #2
Robert Foote

I experimented with them off and on as an LEO firearms instructor; could have had one free on my personal 870 and declined in favor of a standard wood stock. They are harder to use quickly, don't give a decent stock weld, and are generally uncomfortable. Unless I had a very pressing need for compact storage, I would not bother. One of those things that looks neat on TV but doesn't cut it very well in the real world. My opinion, of course.

------------------
Old September 25, 1999, 06:53 AM   #3
Woody

I agree with Robert, but it is nice to have the option of almost halving your shotguns length for storage and for concealment.
You can always call Remington for one or check out Shotgun News they almost always have someone selling one.
Old September 25, 1999, 03:30 PM   #4
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

If you are serious about changing the stock, as you are looking at a "factory" stock, have you tried Remington?

HJN
Old September 25, 1999, 05:42 PM   #5
ModIMark0

How about looking into the Sage International Technologies collapsible stock available in the Brownell's catalog? It's about $99.00 and has a more comfortable buttplate (rubber padded). It (the buttpad) also folds over in the same manner as the 870, but the side rails slide ahead alongside the receiver.
Old September 25, 1999, 06:20 PM   #6
Bennett Richards

Believe it or not Temington will only sell their collapsable stock for the 870 to LEO's!

BEN
Old October 13, 1999, 11:55 PM   #7
Lord Grey Boots

I have a Rem 870 with the over folding stock, bought it used. I can agree with the comments about uncomfortable. There is NO recoil pad, and your cheek weld is with a piece of steel. I am thinking about going with a speed feed stock, probably with a pistol grip.

It looks cool alright, and it really makes it compact, but I am not sure its for everyone.
Old October 14, 1999, 10:19 AM   #8
jimmy

Although it's an interesting piece of equipment, I personally think the Remington folding stock will be kept folded most of the time, therefore it might as well be a pistol grip shotgun. Pistol grip shotguns are okay, but a standard shoulder stock is really more practical.

JMHO.

[This message has been edited by jimmy (edited October 14, 1999).]
Old October 14, 1999, 05:28 PM   #9
pete80

A local police department issues the 870 Marine Magnum with top folders to their Motor's. They really look cool folded up along the side of the new BMW police bikes. A friend who works for the city agrees that while the folding stocks are nice for the motors, they are slow to bring into action and they really hurt when firing. The steel stock shoots the recoil straight through your shoulder. It's seems like a pain in the ass to me!