The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2011, 03:07 PM   #26
guncrank

I must be dumb but for the life of me, it seems to me that in gunsmith school we used two gauges when we where learning to chamber Mauser actions.
A go and nogo, that is all.
And I have continued to use those two gauges up till now.
Close on go and not close on nogo.
An stripped a bolt down completely.
CEW
Machine Shop and Finishing Services to the trade and public
Old January 22, 2011, 07:27 AM   #27
mega twin

Jim,the rifle was a low numbered gun.
By whoever rechambered it,without marking it as to the change,there is no telling who did the work,or what shape it was in before the work was done.
An expensive lesson for me, but no one was hurt by it,except monetarily,so alls well.
Old January 22, 2011, 05:00 PM   #28
F. Guffey

"The last 03a3 I had would not fire a 30-06 round"

The low number Springfield or Rock Island would just let go, nothing before and then all of a sudden the rifle would swarm, when loading for a low number I call it meets and or exceeds BUT that only makes sense to me, the ones that failed I attribute to sudden shock, if the receivers were able to stretch the failure would have been progressive and there is no way to add your low number to the list of known failures.

F. Guffey
Old January 23, 2011, 11:00 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

Guncrank,

You are remembering correctly. If you are cutting a new chamber, those two are all you need. But if you are looking at a gun with some wear, the Field NO-GO is what you need to see if it's still in spec.

Mr. Guffey,

An excellent point about the low number failures. Hatcher's investigation dealt with a relatively small total number of failures; about 1 in 15,000. But there is no central record system for reporting subsequent failures to know what the number has come up to. A few collectors have succeeded in shattering some with a hammer. There's an example of your shock. But how many failed in actual use with normal ammunition at the pressure they were designed for originally? Nobody knows if it is significant or trivial.

It's one of those questions that, if a giant pile of money magically fell in my lap, I'd be tempted to investigate. The only method I can think of, since many of the old guns and past owners have gone, would be to buy up a large random sample and proof them all and to see if they all survived.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 21, 2011, 10:35 PM   #30
airdrop

Not all bolts are the

same look for a shop that has old bolts to try. If you find a bolt that locks up tighter do a swap.