The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old September 17, 2002, 09:25 AM   #1
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

PRNJ: Sportsmen's Center si! Ray's, no!

At the end of last week, I set out with the ausweise from the PRNJ politburo in hand to negotiate the purchase of a new Ruger MKII target gun. I'd done some shopping and was still on the fence about the Slabside vs. the 6 7/8" Target, and thought I'd wanted the target because it weighed slightly less. I knew that Ray's on Route 22 had the 6 7/8" Target, so off I went.

There was a problem with my paper. Seems I had my PO box on my driver's license, which might offend the BATF's notions of grasping conformance. So no purchase was made.

However, the sales clerk at Ray's made it very clear that he didn't care one rodentian hiney whether he sold me a gun or not, and snarled at me like he wished that me and my money would vanish.

Fine.

On the other hand, the folks at the Sportsmen's Center on Route 130 in Bordentown were exceptionally courteous and helpful, even after a long hard day. So, even though the eyes weren't dotted, I laid away a brand-new Slabside.

Picked up the Slabside from the Sportsmen's Center yesterday, following some torture by the Committee for State Motor Vehicle Security. Plus three spare mags and a thumb saver, for about sixty extra bucks.

The Slabside feels great and shoots great, BTW. I'm very pleased about what I bought, and where I bought.

I might not be buying a lot of guns, but from now on the Sportsmen's Center gets my business and my recos.

- pdmoderator.

P.S. And as for Ray's... well, they oughta have a real good archery department, just by the way they give their customers the shaft.

Last edited by pdmoderator; September 17, 2002 at 03:48 PM.
Old September 17, 2002, 03:27 PM   #2
fritzebeagle

Rays sport shop on rt22 has always been a haven for no nothing behind the counter people once i went in there for a comb pad for shotgun stock and the salesman to me you get them at the hardware store said that iiiiiiiitsn used for screen door gaskets ppleeze another time i needed a par of scope rings for a ruger rifle and made the mistake of going there with the paqrt no. tthey order it wrong 3 times went to pppennsy that year with iron sites definate thumbs down:barf:
Old September 24, 2002, 12:30 PM   #3
raz-0

ray's has some issues. My main gripe about them is price, I know it'
s a bitch doing business in this state, but others seem to do it at more reasonable prices.

As for the folks behind the counter, they are a mixed bag. If you put up with them long enough to figure out their personalities a bit you can get by. The difficulty is, the behavior one clerk wants out of a customer is likely to get you a cold shoulder from another clerk.

However, at this point, I have to say that most gun stores with a decent stock (and even most without) seem to be seriously overpriced, and REALLY uncooperative if what you want to buy isn't on their shelves. I've also noticed a general propensity towards being condescending and snappy.

At this point, I have found myself a pleasant and reasonably priced FFL holder who will gladly do transfers and doesn't take it personally if you buy from someone who does have it in stock when his distributor doesn't and doesn't care if you are or are not buying one of his pet firearms. he isn't a fountain of firearms knowledge, but heck that's why I come here.

I occasionally buy some accesories from ray's simpley because I DO sometimes go there to fondle things before I buy them. Also because of that, if a friend MUST have something RIGHT NOW and is willing to pay the right now tax, I'll usually walk them through the ray's hassle.
Old September 29, 2002, 07:30 PM   #4
pdmoderator
Registration in progress

I think we're all on the same page. But if anyone is going to buy in-state, I'd steer them toward the Sportsmen's Center. As opposed to Ray's, the Sportsmen's Center behaves like they value your business.

- pdmoderator
Old October 25, 2002, 12:08 PM   #5
Bullzeye

I would reccomend a stop at Meltzer's Sporting Goods in Garfield for the folks in northern NJ. The prices are pretty good and the guys behind the counter are willing to help you out. They have a pretty good inventory too.

I have never had anything but trouble at Ray's with their service. Its like they are doing you a favor by helping you out.
Old November 6, 2002, 09:19 PM   #6
CHAINSAWRICH

YOU CANT BEAT SPORTSMAN CENTERS SERVICE. I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT GREAT SERVICE FROM THEM FOR THE LAST 15 YEARS. ON THE OTHER HAND THEIR COMPETITION DOWN THE ROAD...HARRY'S , ARE NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF GREEDY STUPID UNEDUCATED IDIOTS. NEVER AND I MEAN NEVER BUY OR TRUST THEIR JUDGEMENTS ON ANYTHING...........THATS ALL I HAVE TO SAY
Old July 19, 2005, 04:27 PM   #7
PaladinX13

To post my recent experiences with Ray's:

The sales was a little stand-offish, but I didn't really engage any of them. Their prices were too high for me to justify buying anything just then. Their range-master was friendly enough, I wouldn't mind returning to shoot.

Efingers was a little friendlier, but their handgun selection didn't have anything I was looking for.
http://www.efingersportinggoods.com/

I've had pretty positive experiences with the following as a FFL found through Gunbroker.com, they provide a straight up service and will give email/phone quotes/inventory checks, which I really appreciate:

Robert Larsen
Auto Parts and Sporting Goods of Woodbridge
108 Main St
Woodbridge, NJ 07095
email: Click here to email me
phone: 732-634-6264
fax: 732-634-0999

Hours: 8:00am-7:30pm mon-fri,8:30am-5:30pm sat,9:00am-2:30pm sun
Transfer fee: $40.00 plus nics fee
Old July 27, 2005, 08:48 PM   #8
rscalzo

Ray's Sport Shop

I've dealt with Ray's since the mid 70's. They hold the State of NJ contract for ammo and police supplies and those prices are the lowest I could find. Most of the new officers coming on the job purchased their duty weapons from Ray's as they are a S&W Law Enforcement Dealer. The LE price is decent and I never could do better.

However, I would always hear complaints from those buying their gear from Ray's how unfriendly and unhealpful the sales force would be. I always dealt with the owner's son in law who could not have been more helpful and knowlegable. The uniform section always seemed to piss me off.

The store is in the process of being sold. Ray is getting too old to run the place as he is there almost every day. His son-in-law wants to retire and put in his time for the past many years. Wait and see how it turns out. Hopefully for the better.