The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 9, 2005, 05:41 PM   #1
OMCHamlin

Remington Nylon 77 disassembly assist!

Guys, can someone give me a quick down and dirty on how to disassemble my Rem Nylon 77? I have removed the large cross slotted screw at the bottom of the stock, below the rear sight and I have removed the two slotted cross screws which hold the sheetmetal action cover on. I have removed the barrel. It appears I must figure out how to remove the nylon bolt handle prior to continuing. This is where I need help! Thanks in advance.
Chris
Old September 9, 2005, 06:07 PM   #2
joab

You must first remove the top cover before you can remove the barrel.

1 - Remove the bolt handle by pulling it straight out of the bolt.

2 - Remove the 2 screws that hold the top cover in place. They run from right to left under the ejection port.

3 - Slide the cover straight up and off of the stock. At this point, the ejector will usually fall out its slot on the left side of the stock. Don't freak, its not that big a deal. The ejector is fairly large and somewhat horseshoe shaped, and can only be installed one way.

4 - Unscrew the barrel retaining screw, the one you removed earlier. While you are unscrewing this screw, keep it pushed up in its recess. You will see the barrel retaining bracket move upward out of its notch in the barrel. When it has cleared the notch, slide the barrel foreward and out of the stock.

You can now remove the bolt and striker for cleaning.

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, REMOVE, PUSH ON, OR THINK ABOUT TOUCHING ANY PINS YOU SEE IN THE STOCK WHILE THE TOP COVER IS REMOVED. IF YOU DO, YOU WILL BE TAKING THE GUN TO A GUNSMITH FOR REASSEMBLY!!! Trust me. I've make a few house payments reassembling Nylon 66/77 that my customers have taken apart to clean.

Have fun. At least removing the barrel is a piece of cake.

Thanks,
Lee Hadaway
Old September 9, 2005, 06:09 PM   #3
joab

Schematic
Old September 10, 2005, 07:18 AM   #4
OMCHamlin

Thanks to both of you guys, you saved me. I woulda never figured out to just pull the bolt handle out. The 10/22 seems MUCH simpler.
Chris