The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 4, 2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Mauser8mm

Vortex Crossfire II 3-9x40 Review

I just received my Vortex Crossfire II today and couldn't be happier! Here is a review starting with key elements, then pros and cons.

Size: Perfect size, around 11" I believe in total length. 40mm objective lens, fits perfect and flush on my Mauser.

Look: Very appealing scope. The vortex logo is very nice looking on the scope. The matte black finish is just what you want for a low profile optic. Very attractive and will have friends asking about it.

Clarity: Not a word can describe how impressed I was with the clarity of a scope being sold for only $140! Amazing clarity and no blurriness or fuzziness at 9x zoom even at 10 yards! It is as good as my friend's $500 Leupold if not better, and that is saying something!

Eye Relief: Now this is the thing that impressed me the most. I didn't expect such excellent eye relief for an entry level scope. Feels about 4" and no blacking occurs when you move your head back and forth a little bit.

Magnification: 3-9 zoom. 9x zoom gets the job done up to at least 300 yards. Very smooth magnification adjustment, very impressed. No blurriness at full zoom.

Turrets: Finger adjustable, grooved so it can work with gloves. Reset to zero addition is awesome, very simple instructions in the manual. Clicks are 1/4 MOA and very precise.

Reticle: Simple, not too thick, not too thin. I was impressed with how clear it was. V-Plex reticle, same as my friend's Leupold, I love it!

Package Contents: Nice giant lens cloth, scope covers that you can not see through, manual, UNLIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY!!!!!!!!!!

Pros:

Clarity
Eye Relief
Look
Matte Finish
Scope Covers
Nice Reticle
Finger Adjustable Turrets
Reset To Zero Turrets
Size
Low Profile
Fully Multi-Coated Optics
No Blurriness
Quality For Price
Simple Manual
Unlimited Lifetime Warranty
High Quality Lens Cloth

Cons:

Haa your joking right? There are none!!!

I haven't got a chance to sight it in yet, but I will provide a more detailed review once I do. If you are looking for a great scope for a great price, look no further!!!!!
Old March 5, 2013, 08:39 AM   #2
adamc

Nice Review

Connecticut was the Cradle of the Gun Industry, NOW it is just a Pine Box,
Courtesy of our Governor "Chairman MAO Malloy"
Old March 5, 2013, 04:29 PM   #3
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

Why Thank You!

It's better to be silent and called a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt
Old March 5, 2013, 11:04 PM   #4
Murauder

I feel quite the same about my 4-12x50 ao crossfire II. Can't be beat for the money ($200)
Old March 10, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
Mauser8mm

Sighted In

I sighted in my scope today on my Mauser. Did it at about 50 yards, then gave it a couple clicks up and reset my turrets to zero. Really impressed with the smooth adjustments. Took about eight shots because I didn't have the best setup, but the scope held up! I'm glad I went with Vortex, and I plan on purchasing more from them in the future!

Old March 11, 2013, 01:39 PM   #6
mach1.3

I will receive my Vortex Xfire II 6-16X44 AO tomorrow. Plan on putting it on my CZ American 455 Combo .22/.17HMR. Am very excited about this scope. I am planning on using some high scope rings to accommodate the 44mm objective and fit the 3/8" dovetail integral grooved receiver. I'm also to receive a Nikon Bushmaster 4.5-14x40SF scope for my .22-250 Remmy 700.
Once I peer through each scope I might put the Vortex on the Remmy if the extra 2x is beneficial. I'm going to compare the two scopes cosmetically also.
Happy hunting and targetting!
Old March 11, 2013, 02:41 PM   #7
Mauser8mm

Thanks!

This baby is my deer rifle. I plan to have this scope on it for a long long time. You are going to absolutely love the Vortex. It is so clear and has amazing eye relief. Let me know what you think of it!

Tags
optics , scope , vortex