The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2010, 11:27 PM   #1
94Girl

Need Help with Winchester Trapper

Bought a 94 Trapper in 45LC, TANG safety model, problem is the previous owner had removed the TANG safety and I need to reinstall it, I have I believe all the parts.
NO matter where I look on the internet can I find details on the TANG safety parts breakdown or schematics. If anyone out there has one they can take a photo of the TANG Safety assembly (of course with the stock removed) it would be GREATLY appreciated. Especially the spring configuration to the back of the safety under the tang.

email me at [email protected]

THANKS!!!
Old January 21, 2010, 04:39 AM   #2
hickstick_10

isnt the tang safety on those just a hammer block?

I doubt theres 50 parts to the damn thing(those tang safeties suck), just try putting stuff together and see what fits, the 94 is pretty much the easiest gun to take apart and put back together.
Old January 21, 2010, 10:02 AM   #3
94Girl

Well its a matter of a spring that keeps the "switch" in the fire and safe positions, I figured out all of the parts, but........that fricking spring is missing I assume. I have made one, and it works, but I would love to see the real spring configuration. And NO WHERE on the web can I find a schemtic or a photo of that safety assembly, plenty of 94's and some of the crossbolt safety, but NONE of the TANG safety....

I can strip and assemble a 94/92 with no problem......just need the assembly of the TANG safety....
Old January 21, 2010, 11:37 AM   #4
arcticap

Removed because they weren't the tang safety models.

Last edited by arcticap; January 22, 2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old January 21, 2010, 12:19 PM   #5
hickstick_10

theres always your local gunsmith
Old January 21, 2010, 12:40 PM   #6
94Girl

yea none of those are the TANG safety models.

Local gunsmith??? I have forgot more than the local "gun-gouger/ruiner,grinder" here will ever know....
Old January 23, 2010, 08:10 PM   #7
ThomasT

On leverguns.com they schematics for lever action rifles. You may be able to find some help there. Brownells also has schematics.

In Rifle magazine a few years back Dave Scoville talked about the tang safeties and there were photos of how to adjust them. You can look at back issues on their website and sometimes you can veiw certain articles. If not you may have to order the issue. Heck they might even email you some photos just for the asking.
Old January 23, 2010, 11:29 PM   #8
Malamute

I'll second the suggestion of checking in over at the leverguns forum. I'd bet that somebody would take a picture for you, or have a link that shows what you need to know.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old January 24, 2010, 12:11 PM   #9
94Girl

TY to all, I finially sat down with some spring wire stock and made a spring , with extensive testing it worked so I made up a final and tempered it, it works fine.

Thanks again