The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 16, 2012, 10:06 PM   #1
Beagle333

There's a new Colt in town. . . .

This is exciting for me. A Signature Series 1860. I have always wanted one and I can hardly wait to try it out!
Tomorrow, it goes to the range for the first of many, many shots.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 16, 2012 at 11:48 PM. Reason: cause it's Friday
Old March 17, 2012, 03:10 AM   #2
Doc Hoy

This is cool, Beag,

When did you come up with this one and wher did it com from?
Old March 17, 2012, 04:12 AM   #3
Hawg

Looks good.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:03 AM   #4
Willie Sutton

Glad to see someone now afraid to take one marked "Colt" down to the sandpit with some balls and powder. Enjoy it!

Willie

Old March 17, 2012, 09:56 AM   #5
Beagle333

Doc, I found this one about a month ago, but I had quite a time getting it. The seller only wanted to sell locally and I finally got him to agree to shipping. It was part of an estate sale of a collector. This fellow had been only a collector, not a shooter, and everything was unfired and in original packing. He surely had some nice pistols. Quite a bit of it was stainless stuff. I found that interesting for a collector who never intended to fire them. But, to each his own.

Willie, it is definitely going to be a shooter. I am one of those people who do have safe queens, but I want to see what this one will do, so it's going straight to the front of the line.

Last edited by Beagle333; March 17, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old March 17, 2012, 12:46 PM   #6
Doc Hoy

Beag

Very nice find.

Looks like it is in great shape.
Old March 17, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
deerslayer303

very nice indeed Beagle. I personally do not have any safe queens. I CHOOT EM ALL!! But on the other hand I don't have anything rare either. But buying a gun to look at is for me like buying a 1970 Hemi 4 speed Challenger (my dream ride) to just sit in in the garage to look at.
Old March 17, 2012, 07:05 PM   #8
Beagle333

I took it out today and ran about 50+ balls through it. It was great! The pistol worked perfectly. I, however, need some work. But I am very pleased and am going to try it again tomorrow and see if I can scare that bullseye some more. I think I'll take the Pietta too and just see if I can tell any difference at all. My wife even came out and fired a few and said she liked it as well. (This, is of paramount importance )

I was using 33 grains Pyrodex and 11 grains of cornmeal, Rem #11 caps, .454 ball and a smear of CVA Grease Patch over the top to keep everything soft.
It was a good day!
Old March 17, 2012, 08:40 PM   #9
Hellgate

That thing must be drilled pretty deep to accept both 33grs Pyro+11grs cornmeal. In my ASM 1860 30grs+1/8" lube wad+ball is about it. If you used all powder it looks like you could get 35-40grs (vol) in the chamber. Pyro is very compressible and a chamber full just shy of the mouth ought to hold at least 35grs w/o any filler. That's a pretty full load!
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old March 17, 2012, 10:19 PM   #10
Beagle333

Okay, let me start off by apologizing. I didn't mean to make a scientific report from my casual day of it. Here's the deal: I measure my powder with my .7cc scoop, from my .357 reloader (b/c my flask split down the side last week), and that scoop holds about 11 grains per scoop (± 11 grains, depending on if you tap it, the wind blows, you leave it heaped a little, or whatever) And I put 3± scoops of powder, and 1± scoop of cornmeal, from my little ziplock baggies (no flask, remember) in each chamber. But now that this comes to question, I got out the brass measures, and assuming that I was using loosely packed material, and not being very careful at all with each scoop, let's just say that in actuality, I didn't take care to make darn sure that each scoop was perfectly filled and level, and ended up with 42 grains total in the cylinder.
So, here is a pic of 2 of my measures, one at 42 grains, and one at 21 grains.

And here is a pic of my cylinder, after dumping two of the 21 grain small measure in it (near cylinder) and one of the 42 grain big measure (rear cylinder),
and you can see that without any packing at all now, a ball will easily seat just below flush with face of cylinder after seating it with the loading lever.

So, lemme go back and modify my statement to say I was using 32 grains of powder and 10 grains of cornmeal, just to account for being lazy with my measuring and so nobody thinks I have some sort of prototype cylinder. I didn't try to put exactly 44 grains in there, just because I didnt measure exactly today either. I might try that later, just to know exactly how much can be stuffed in there. Again, I apologize for possible rounding errors and being misleading with exact volumes.
Old March 17, 2012, 10:52 PM   #11
Hawg

I know it's possible to put 40 grains of Pyro in a Remington Cylinder and a Wonder wad and still seat a ball. I think it's possible on a Colt but I haven't done it in awhile.
Old March 25, 2012, 06:35 PM   #12
Hardy

Hawg--tell me no. you didn't shoot that 3rd gen colt did you/ ? You got the white shipping box and uncracked gray box? We like to sell those you know

WBH
Old March 25, 2012, 06:37 PM   #13
Hardy

Wait --I got trigger happy. It wasn't Hawg w/ that 60 colt it was Beagle. Sorry Hawg.

WBH
Old March 25, 2012, 08:18 PM   #14
Beagle333

Huh?

I was supposed to keep the box?

(Yeah, I kept it.)