The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old December 9, 2011, 05:18 PM   #1
hooligan1

How to find and trust an appraiser?

I could use some of you fellars advice on some older rifles.
A friend of mine's dad has passed and he wants to get an accurate idea of values of some guns and possibly some swords. Any help would be appreciated at this time. I'm having a small problem with him sending me emails with pics, but there's some trapdoor rifles and rolling blocks and some double-rifle questions that he's asked, that I cannot answer for him.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:08 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Possibly contact your insurance agent.
Most insurance companies have access to various types of appraisers, including firearms appraisers.
Old December 10, 2011, 08:13 AM   #3
hooligan1

Thanks man.. I posted some pics on the Harley Nolden Thread.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:17 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unlike those of us who give opinions here for free (and whose opinions are worth what they cost), professional appraisers get paid for their time, expense, and expertise, and so their opinions are valued and accepted by others. The down side is that unless a gun is believed to be valuable (say it seems to be a Colt Paterson), the cost may not be justified. No one would want to pay $500 for a professional appraisal to be told the gun is worth a tenth of that.

Jim
Old December 10, 2011, 03:11 PM   #5
hooligan1

You're right, that just wouldn't be feasible, however this is an extensive collection, with many guns and swords also. I'm trying to get more pics, to help spark more interest.
Old December 10, 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
saands

I hire people all the time that know more about their fields than I do. Trusting their knowledge is imperative. What I typically do is search for some tiny specific topic that I do know something about that they have claimed an expertise in. Then I question them in depth about that specific topic. If they pass that test, then I have reason to believe their other claims. In this context, you might take one of the pieces in question and really research it ... if the appraiser gets that one right, then you can probably trust him/her on the rest of the collection.

Saands
Old December 11, 2011, 09:12 AM   #7
TX Hunter

Here is an Easy Way, look at sights like Guns America, or Gunbroker, find the same kind of gun, and see what they bring at auction.
That should get you a close Idea of what to ask.
Also places like the Cabelas Gun Library might have these types of firearms, look at what they are asking for them.
Thats just an easy way to figure out what you should ask. Good Luck
Old December 11, 2011, 11:00 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, "the same kind of gun" can be a problem in itself. Aside from the fact that on-line sites often give a distorted picture of value, two guns that seem to be identical in their description may be very different in value depending on a serial number range or some apparently insignificant marking. It is that kind of thing that a qualified appraiser will see and which can make his knowledge well worth paying for.

Jim