The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old September 23, 2014, 02:18 PM   #26
baddarryl

I see that you mean. I was talking about the areas of the Intracoastal between the beaches and the mainland. Maybe he was talking about 'noises'. Yes that would be highly dangerous.
Old September 23, 2014, 03:32 PM   #27
hartcreek

Skizzums place

Skissum that may look like a good place to shoot but you do realize that you are shooting across a high tension powerline access road.
Old September 23, 2014, 04:26 PM   #28
wogpotter

Yup "Sounder"
'Didya see that buck"?
"Nope, not a hair he was a sounder"!

There was a farmer who was famous in the area every autumn he'd paint huge letters on his animals.

"COW"

HORSE

& so on.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old September 23, 2014, 08:34 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

The kind of "sound hunter" I am talking about is the idiot(s) who shoot into brush at the sound of "game". In other words they are shooting at something they DO NOT SEE!!!!

Stupid, foolish, and very, very, very dangerous.

This type of behavior should land people in jail, and sometimes does, if they get caught. back in the day, this kind of behavior was usually something that "city hunters" sometimes did. And by "city hunter" we meant someone who knows NOTHING about hunting, or much of anything off the pavement.

They buy a gun, a license, they may even take the NRA Hunter Safety course, but when they get in the woods, they are a danger to others. And to top it all off, they seem totally unaware at the risk this poses to other people. They don't know, and most refuse to learn. Like the guys that shoot up road signs, cut fences, and leave their trash these slobs tarnish our sport, and our reputations. They are the living justification (stereotype) for the bad image the press gives us.

I do know of a farmer who did spray paint "COW" on a cow, in large fluorescent Orange letters.

Someone shot it, anyway....
Old September 24, 2014, 12:00 AM   #30
Snyper

Quote:
At least in NC I was told recently by a law enforcement officer that it is actually technically legal to shoot even from middle of a highway if you have permission or it is legal to shoot into the land you are shooting into
Don't delude yourself into thinking all "LEO's" really know the laws

What he told you is WRONG

Some counties allow shooting from the right of way, but most do not, and most don't even allow loaded guns on the right of way.

Do yourself a favor and get a regulation book from the NCWRC, and stop asking LEO's who are ignorant

http://www.ncwildlife.org/

Also, ask around at some nearby farms and you may be able to find a farmer willing to lease you an area to use for shooting and maybe even to hunt
Old September 24, 2014, 01:34 PM   #31
T. O'Heir

"...there few public ranges..." Count yourself lucky. No public ranges anywhere in Canada. It's club membership or nothing. And the MNR wonders why there are deer etc lost every year.
Make your pictures smaller.
Old September 25, 2014, 09:32 PM   #32
baddarryl

Snyper he was talking about technically it was ok to shoot across or from Hwy 17 in Pender County but not hunting from it. You are correct you can not hunt from state maintained roads, but I do think you can legally shoot from them as long as the conditions warrant a safe environment. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, I am not advocating that. I am going to double check it too just for clarity. The LEO was the local Game Warden WRO and a very knowledgeable guy about our area. I would have no reason to doubt him, but it is worth a look. Again, not something I would do anyway.
Old September 26, 2014, 10:16 PM   #33
Mike38

I feel your pain baddarryl. The public range I used to shoot at was $20 per person for all day. In 2011 it went up to $25. This year it jumped to $30. The range is 40 miles away. So for my Son and myself to shoot, gas money, and maybe a bite to eat afterwards, I’m dropping close to a $100 bill. Another $50+++ for ammo. Needless to say, I’ve only been out target shooting once this year. I did find a guy I know that will let me shoot at his personal private range, but haven’t made it there yet. Unfortunately he archery deer hunts right next to the range, and the season opens in a few days, so there will be no target shooting for me until spring.
Old September 27, 2014, 11:15 AM   #34
tony pasley

You might want to look on the National Forestry web site here in Western North Carolina there are several public shooting ranges set up on Forestry land.
Old September 27, 2014, 11:57 AM   #35
g.willikers

Airguns!
Don't need no steekin' far away, expensive range.
Old September 28, 2014, 10:01 PM   #36
baddarryl

OP here. We hit another range an equal distance up the road for us. $29 for all 4 of us to shoot all day. Professionally ran, firm but nice RO. Well equipped gun shop on site as well as a Pub. Will return. Maybe the other jerk was a blessing.

I will give a shout out for them if you are in eastern NC near J Ville.
http://flatwoodsguns.com/