The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 7, 2011, 10:23 PM   #1
31kilo

Uberti 1866 Yellowboy

I have lucked into a very clean, Uberti 1866 Yellowboy I paid next to nothing for it and after a lot of research I've discovered this:
It is a Very early import, serial number 43x it is marked "Westerner Arms"
which I am assuming is the precurser to "Western arms" Santa Fe NM. It is the 19" round barrel carbine model. It is in 90% shape and with a little cleaning it should come up to 95% or better.
it is not marked with any other model information.
I haven't been able to date it from the serial #, but I believe it is around 1966vintage. It came with the post modern vinyl gun case.
If anyone can add any information I would greatly appreciate it. Estimates on value or even educated guesses would also help me out. I can find virtually no information on these .22 models apparently they didn't make a whole lot of them. It is very smooth and function is great. Thanks for any and all help.

Old February 8, 2011, 12:38 AM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, 31kilo. You did alright! I posted about the same question on another site & found out these are scarce as hens teeth. I came across a rifle version at local gun shop..24" full oct. brl. That thing was heavy! Made mistake of sleeping on it & rifle was gone when I came back! That would be a hoot in a rimfire side-match at the cowboy shoots.
Old February 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #3
Fulliautomatix

A bit of a necro-bump, but is that really an 1866? Did they make them without a loading gate?
Old February 11, 2013, 07:59 AM   #4
eastbank

the centerfire 66,s had a loading gate,but the .22 rimfire 66,s used the tube for loading. eastbank.