The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 24, 2012, 01:04 AM   #1
racin19

Problems with my savage model 11

I recently purchased a model 11 savage 204 ruger. I'm having a problem with it not firing. The gun has an accu-trigger. It has happened 4 times. The firing pin is not denting the primer. All 4 times I pulled the bolt out and put it back in and the gun fired. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:08 AM   #2
jmr40

One big problem with the accutrigger is the blade in the middle of the trigger. It is possible to place your finger on the edge of the trigger and pull it without depressing the blade. The firing pin drops partially, but the firing pin block prevents it from dropping all the way. There are quite a few deer walking around alive today because guns did not fire.

This is the whole point of the accutrigger. It simply prevents the gun from firing unless the blade in the trigger is depressed all the way. This will prevent the gun from firing if the gun is dropped etc. when adjusted to a very light pull

This is exactly the same purpose the blade in a Glock trigger serves, but the blade in a Glock trigger will not let the trigger be pulled at all unless depressed. With a Savage you must recock the bolt and start over if you ever do this.

Lots of guys just use the tip of their finger on a trigger with one adjusted very light. I bet if you place your finger all the way on the trigger and make sure the blade is depressed the problem will go away.

Try this first. If this is not the problem you may have a firing pin or spring problem.
Old December 24, 2012, 09:55 AM   #3
racin19

I just tried it, what a dipstick. I'm sure that's what I have been doing, it cost me 4 yotes. Now they're in trouble. Thanks
Old December 24, 2012, 10:17 AM   #4
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
Actually the accutrigger helps promote good shooting form ! You have to put the pad of your finger in the center of the trigger to pull it correctly . Great feature for target shooting , for hunting , not so much ! Especially with gloves on .