The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 14, 2012, 08:05 PM   #1
FiveFeezy

Finish for my cleaning stand/box

I used some left over mahogany to build a box/stand to hold my gun cleaning supplies and support rifles while cleaning them. I left it unfinished. But now after cleaning my firearms a few times on it, it has absorbed a few stains of Hoppes 9, Brakefree CLP, etc. Now I am regretting that I was lazy in the beginning. Is there somthing simple to improve/preserve the wood's appearance? Would rubbing linseed or tung oil into the wood help? I'm not looking for a show piece, just something that I can leave on the coffee table occasionally without it looking like it belongs in the garage. Any suggestions? Much appreciated.
Old April 14, 2012, 08:34 PM   #2
Doyle

Good polyurethane is about as durable as anything you can get (short of some of the high-tech epoxies that area a PIA to use).
Old April 15, 2012, 10:41 AM   #3
FiveFeezy

There are several stains in the wood from oils that have soaked through. Its seems like these would be very tough to remove and may be a problem with polyeurethane adhesion. That is why I was wondering about the linseed or tung oil. Maybe it would soak in the oil stains better and mask them?
Old April 15, 2012, 07:27 PM   #4
Doyle

Any of the oil-based polys will coat over those stains. You'll still see them but the poly will set up OK. I wouldn't try using water based poly over them. (The easy way to tell the difference is if the can says it cleans up with soap and water it will be water based).