The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 1, 2014, 09:46 AM   #1
enyaw

Swamped rifle barrel inlet

What are some basic methods fer inletting a swamped barrel to a rifle?
I've heard about different methods but wonder which is the best end result to those.
You know....like making the sides fit well and the bottom flat fit well and the 45 degree flats between....well...... some say they leave a space there.
Sorta lke some originals where even with a straight barrel with no swamp the maker would have a round channel that fit the sides and the bottom well with some space left where the rounded channel just layed on the corners of the octagon barrels 45 degree flt between side flats and bottom flat.
Seems that would be a way to avoid full stocks from getting the wood stuck on the barrels and broken when the wood is removed for some reason.
Old January 2, 2014, 07:04 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

enyaw - you might take a look at this forum - a lot of experienced long rifle builders on it and some great information in regards to rifle building. Do a search on swamped barrels - if you don't find what you're looking for - join the forum and post an inquiry - I'm sure you'll get lots of good tips on swamped barrel inletting.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 3, 2014, 10:05 AM   #3
enyaw

Thanks Bedbugbilly,I shoulda thunked that on my own since I've been there at American Longrifle.
I'd think that inletting a swamped barrel would be a tedious slow job if going for a full complete contact of all flats to wood for all the barrel length. Especially doing it all by hand tools and inletting black.
I know rails can be used fer the sides. There's a method using the barrel as a guide and a router set up. That's what I'd want. Like the guys that inlet stock blanks fer people using the routers. A machinists type sure fire perfect job every time. Might have ta thunk it up myself....then compare to already tried and true methods.A milling machine with the puter hooked up would be nice ifin I was rich enough to buy one and smart enough to program one.
I have a cutter made by a tool and die maker that can do straight barrels half stocks on my milling machine using five passes to do about any size barrel. Makes em perfect when I don't flub up which I rarely have since wood costs money.
Anywhoooo...thanks Hombre.

Last edited by enyaw; January 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old January 3, 2014, 11:38 AM   #4
Wyosmith

Here is a link to a tutorial I did a few years ago. It will have exactly the information you are looking for.

http://blackpowderfa.proboards.com/i...lay&thread=194