The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 13, 2009, 02:42 PM   #26
LucifersPants

Not since breakfast.
Old January 13, 2009, 03:18 PM   #27
Brian48

Well, I've never been directly sprayed, but I've bourne the full brunt of a CS grenade going off next to me in numerous field exercises while in the USMC. One time, a CS grenade triggered while my fireteam were low crawling through barbed wire, my gas mask got caught and I wasn't able to don it for several minutes. It was not definitely not fun at all.
Old January 14, 2009, 02:11 PM   #28
GLP Standard

Been sprayed, never sprayed someone. Before I did it I always said I would let someone spray me for free just to see how it feels. Now that its been done, I would do it again, but only if its required for some type of certification.

Its nothing I care to experience again... Its definitely effective in stopping a threat IMO. The only thing I cared about for 15-20 minutes was flushing my eyes with water, and for about 45 minutes after that I was not in a good mood. It definitely ****** me off though. It feels like youre face is being stung by about 500,000 bees all at once. Your eyes automatically shut and you cant open them or it hurts 145X worse. It gives the impression that youre suffocating, as its very hard to breath when you get sprayed. You'll feel like youre gasping for air, and everywhere it touches feels like 3rd degree burns, including your throat and nasal passages. Its some bad stuff...

Last edited by GLP Standard; January 14, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old January 14, 2009, 02:27 PM   #29
Inspector3711

There's a funny story, but not at the time. My wedding day... A tux from a small wedding store in a less than nice part of town. The tux needed some last mintute tweaking so when I went to pick it up, they had me suit up for a fit check.

The changing room was nothing more than some curtains. The store had been robbed recently so the owner bought a big can of pepper spray (like 10 ounces). One of the girls grabbed the air freshener and sprayed the room. Unfortunately she grabbed the wrong can. Everyone bailed out but me.. Didn't have the pants on yet.

It was not pleasant.
Old January 14, 2009, 11:18 PM   #30
DSCowles

Worked since 2006 years as a Corrections Officer (recently received promotion and was able to take off the uniform, I miss it) and have experienced OC dozens of times. I will say that I think that the generic form is workable in a sense of still being able to function, but however, Law Enforcement only brand "CapStun", an alcohol based spray in the "Fogger" form is by far the most painful version of the substance. The alcohol acts as a direct skin irritant, as well as the irritation to the eyes, nose, and throat.

While working Segregation units, we had several methods of dissemination. We would used the direct aerosol spray from cans which was almost always effective, however, we also had an "PepperJet" which was similar into how weed killer is administered (Large bucket pressurized with a wand) and the XP-10, which is a basically a large fire-extinguisher style container that opens a valve and releases 150 PSI of 3 gallons of the substance.

If these were either defeated or ineffective, we would move to CS/OC gas incendiary devices. This would basically choke the air supply out from the offender. I have never seen someone who was initially sprayed not submit to restraints eventually. However, there are individuals who are not medically cleared to be sprayed with OC gas. Then we move straight to the Electrical Options or Direct Impact Munitions .

Needless to say, OC has little effect on me anymore. However, the CAPStun still stops me in my tracks.
Old January 21, 2009, 12:42 PM   #31
KnightHawk67

The CS house in Army basic training did very little to me, I got watery eyes like I had been up for 24 hours & my nose started running. When I came out the NCO's were yelling at everyone to run & wave your arms to blow most of it off you & to keep you from rubbing your eyes. I just stood there & they kinda looked at me funny. I was like: "Is that it?" LOL

Anyone ever used the FoxPro brand? I have a wife with the same mentality, doesn't think she could pull the trigger. Supposedly the FoxPro stuff is one of the "Hottest" around? Any experience or opinions?
Old January 21, 2009, 01:16 PM   #32
Housezealot

I was standing behind a guy when his drunken girlfreind sprayed him at a party, I got a pretty good amount in my eyes and would have only been slowed down by a second or two if it was a violent conflict, the guy who got the brunt of it was pretty well blinded but was still on his feet and mad as a hornet, sufficed to say that was the end of that relationship.