The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 14, 2016, 10:53 PM   #26
reynolds357

I have different rifles that get treated differently. I treat them all as well as I possibly can given the circumstance they will be used in. My hog hunting rifles do at times un-avoidably take a beating. My bean field rifles get treated almost as good as safe queens.
Old February 14, 2016, 11:13 PM   #27
TXAZ

As an 'extreme use' comment, I had a chance to fire a decades-old full auto Norinco Chinese AK-47 at their test range outside Beijing. Despite having fired, by one estimate, over a half million to a million rounds, with wear spots where you'd expect them, the weapon was in reasonable shape and felt surprisingly solid.
Most well made weapons don't ask alot, and a little care can make them last a very long time (rounds wise too).

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 15, 2016, 06:06 AM   #28
bamaranger

whoa now

Half a million to a million rounds, whoa now. I don't doubt that somebody in China told you that, I have read of others who toured AK sites in earlier times. But I think that maybe comrade Chin got his commas mixed up. That or it was propoganda.

Half a million, that's 500,000 rounds. Twice that.......hard to believe. Or....the round count was not "without breakage" and the AK was repaired as needed.

All that said, wish I could have taken said tour.
Old February 15, 2016, 03:09 PM   #29
TXAZ

Bamaranger
The North Industries Company (Norinco) test range is 90 minute drive outside Beijing. Everything from pistols to AK's to 23mm AA guns plus RPGs were there for the shooting for $'s.
They were out of RPGs dangit but the rest and more were a blast. Look it up if you get a chance.
As for what we were told, yep we had no way of verifying. Maybe all but the stock and buttplate were original, who knows.
But it was clear they took great care of the weapons there.
Seriously anyone headed to Beijing, look it up! I would love to see some pics of a Yank with an RPG.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 15, 2016, 07:37 PM   #30
FITASC

This sure sounds like a troll OP.......but I could be wrong......

Quote:
Half a million to a million rounds, whoa now.
In a full auto - that's what? about a month's worth?

I own an O/U with 300,000 through it over 20 years.......not hard to do.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 15, 2016, 07:47 PM   #31
Toney

I wipe my rifle down before I take it out and as soon as I bring it in.

I'm as careful as I can be in the field, I know it will get some new marks I try not to let it bother me...

I do leave the bore fouled all season...
Old February 15, 2016, 10:55 PM   #32
reynolds357

500,000 rounds through an AK is definitely believable. I have read where IMI has fired over 500,000 rounds through their CZ clone pistols before having to re-barrel. I am sure the AK had a few barrels on it at that round count.

Last edited by reynolds357; February 15, 2016 at 11:17 PM.
Old February 16, 2016, 05:10 AM   #33
Gunplummer

The man said "Full-auto". I have my doubts. I well remember the early scrap. The receiver blocks were not even heat treated. The blocks started to mushroom. Remember the M-14 copy" and all the issues it had. Chinese junk is still "Hit or miss" to this day when you buy it. Everybody here goes to WALMART for the quality, right? The only thing I have seen over the years that they have improved on in the gun related field is optics, but you better stick to the very simple scopes.
Old February 17, 2016, 08:50 AM   #34
hooligan1

Realistically my rifles get super care throughout testing during the year, once deer season comes in, I'm not babying any gear I take to the field. I will not throw my rifles around the back of a truck, or hold down barb wire with them but scratches, blood and weed seeds just means to me that I hunted hard, especially blood on them.....
Old February 22, 2016, 01:25 PM   #35
Guv

I've been a mechanic for over 40yrs, I don't treat my guns like my tools.
And take pretty good care of my tools.
Old February 22, 2016, 11:31 PM   #36
Guv

Why would you not trust a man with a clean tool box?
Old February 23, 2016, 03:52 PM   #37
kilimanjaro

I try and take good care of my possessions, when it's time to sell them I will be repaid for the trouble.

We've all walked past gun show tables piled with junk rifles that will never sell except for parts.

The pawnshops are filled with beat-up truck guns.

You don't have to let us tell you, just go look for yourself. Cared-for rifles sell quickly, and for a decent price, while beaters sit in the rack.
Old February 23, 2016, 04:17 PM   #38
Sig_Lover

I generally hunt hard areas bugs me to accidently scratch. Drop, or nock my guns so I compensate.
Hunt with 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser composition stock. Leaupold scope sport trigger.
Usually gets muddy. Dusty. Wet, sweaty any else you can think of in south texas. Wipe it down with g96. bore snake at end of hunt daily . Good cleaning before storing for next season.
Old February 23, 2016, 07:16 PM   #39
RaySendero

I treat my guns no different than other stuff I care for!
Old February 23, 2016, 07:26 PM   #40
MarkCO

If your life depends on it, treat it like your daughter.

If your sustenance depends in it, treat it like your mother.

If it is a toy, get the most fun out of it that you can.

Old February 24, 2016, 01:57 PM   #41
tahoe2

I didn't read every post, but here goes,

Most of mine are from an era of "craftsmen"; hand machined and hand fitted, to that end, they deserve respect. I do use them in harsh conditions, but take proper care of them when the day or week is done, I don't baby them, but I don't abuse them either. Some are over 100+ years old and still perform like they're supposed to, I do have some from CNC machined era, and they too, do as they're supposed to. It's true they are tools, and built to "take it", but that is no reason to trash them. They were built to be used, so by all means use them, but don't expect them to perform if treated poorly. I'm done ! Peace Out !
Old February 24, 2016, 06:07 PM   #42
FrankenMauser

Quote:
It's true they are tools, and built to "take it", but that is no reason to trash them.
That's exactly it.

And, that statement, reworded just slightly, is what it took for my idiot mother-in-law and my wife to finally realize why I got so upset with them about careless damage to my/our things - vehicles in particular.

Just because it is expected to get worn, dented, dinged, damaged, and otherwise take some unintentional and incidental minor hits over the years, doesn't mean that it should be treated like crap from the very beginning.
Laziness and abuse are completely different than wear from normal use and maintenance.

I won't tell other people how to treat their firearms, unless their negligence is a safety risk for me.
But I do take care of my firearms. Incidental damage does occur, but I try to avoid it. I want every one of my firearms to last. I would much rather see something legitimately wear out, rather than get broken through negligence.
About half of them, after all, are not just older than myself, but older than my father - and a few are older than my grandfathers.
Old February 24, 2016, 06:17 PM   #43
Hawg

Quote:
while beaters sit in the rack.
Those are the ones I look for.
Old March 6, 2016, 02:19 AM   #44
3shotJAC

Love your guns , they love you back. Yes they are tools , but tools that are like a good level , a quality paint gun , or high end set of ratchet wrenches . I wouldn't bang them around , not clean them , or leave them laying in dirt .

I don't own 2 or 3000 dollar guns, but neither are they China made pieces of junk . I clean them as often as needed , treat them with fair care in the field , and transport them with utmost care. From what I have seen from my guns , it shows !!!
Old March 6, 2016, 08:36 AM   #45
Gunplummer

GUV, I have been around shops a long time. I have seen guys that even wax their tool boxes. It is not 100%, but usually guys that are nit-pickey with their tool boxes are not too dedicated to the job they are at. Just my opinion.
Old March 6, 2016, 09:03 AM   #46
Guv

Never waxed my tool box but I like to keep it organized. Helps me to find or see what may be missing. I work with guys who just throw their stuff in the drawers in a giant heap, I can't work like that.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:22 AM   #47
Toney

I didn't pull a car out of my bay without accounting for all my tools.

Then I washed then in my parts washer.

I never waxed my tool but I did wax my box, had more money in it than I did my truck.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:28 AM   #48
Gunplummer

You will never work on anything I own.
Old March 6, 2016, 10:37 AM   #49
Toney

You know if you're not nit picky about your tools you'll run out of tools to work on cars pretty fast..

And good tools cost.
Old March 6, 2016, 06:25 PM   #50
Guv

^^^^Exactly, tools aren't cheap. How a neat well kept tool box means inferior workmanship is one I had never heard before.
Sounds like a good time to buy your own tools and get after it.