The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #1
jda2011

Bushmaster Carbon 15 Buffer Retainer problem

I have looked around a bit and have been unable to find anyone who has had a similar problem as of yet. My question is this: Has anyone with any AR-15 had an issue with the buffer spring retainer pin and spring dislodging while firing? About a month ago I let my brother shoot my rifle and he was messing around with the buttstock. He then went to fire and all we heard was a click. I thought maybe it was an issue with the round as it was a reload, however I removed it and replaced it with a factory round with the same result. This happened 5 or 6 times. I then took out the takedown pin and when I opened the lower, there was a spring which had been mangled sitting on top of the hammer. I removed it and we went back from our range to the workshop to figure the problem out. In this instance, it appears that he backed the buffer tube off enough while playing with the stock that it allowed it to be released.

Fast forward. I got a new spring from Bushmaster, ordered a new Blackhawk! adjustable stock, tube, buffer, spring, and castle nut. I installed it and I KNOW I had the thing put on right. I shot quite a few rounds with no issues last week, my girlfriend put 25 through it as well as a couple other people putting rounds through it yesterday. My brother then wanted to try to shoot it. Again, first time he chambered a round and pulled the trigger, just a click. When I took the lower off, this time the retainer spring was partially caught in the bolt carrier assembly. This time no one messed with the stock tube and I know I had the castle nut tight. Any ideas on how this part could have possibly come out again?
Old June 17, 2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Roughedge

Sounds like you need to go in another thread on your tube. and dont let your brother shoot it.
Old June 17, 2013, 04:58 PM   #3
jda2011

I had it threaded right up to the part on the top that holds the buffer. I literally can't get it threaded on anymore. The only thing I can think of goes with the second part of your answer and that is something about my brother makes my rifle fall apart. I was right with him the whole time and he didn't do anything that should've made it happen, in addition to the fact that I consider him to be more responsible than I am. This is what makes me think there is an issue with the rifle itself.
Old June 17, 2013, 06:19 PM   #4
Scorch

The mechanism is pretty straightforward: the recoil buffer tube screws in until it partially blocks the buffer retainer pin hole and runs into the pin itself, then lock down the tube with the castle nut. Nothing else to it. As long as the hole is still round and not broken out by the last incident, it should work fine. This is one of those things that just gets worse with messing with it.
Old June 17, 2013, 07:51 PM   #5
jda2011

That's what I thought too. But I had it put on all the way and somehow it still came out by just shooting it.

Tags
bushmaster ar-15 , carbon 15 , retainer pin and spring