The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 2, 2012, 06:54 PM   #1
billyj

original 1859 sharps rifle

Proud owner of an original 1859 sharps rifle . I am firing it using American Pioneer powder because of the difficulty of obtaining black powder.I am using 50 grains of powder to fire it, seem to work pretty good. 2 question am I hurting it by not using black powder ? Sharps has what is called an adjustable bouching,is this the same as a moveable sleeve which is found in most reproduction sharps and can it be clean the same way?
Old July 2, 2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Ideal Tool

Hello, billyj..Now thats one I haven't heard of being fired in a long time! I do believe the original Sharps used a movable "bouching"..adjustable by a special tool threaded to cleaning rod..tapped down tight against breech-block. How effective is the gas sealing on yours? After all these years..I wonder if that thing will even budge? I have a Shilo Farmingdale 1863 percussion rifle in .45 which I purchased back in 77'..this uses the later Conant gas-seal plate..I have not noticed any leakage around breech when firing. Never used the American Pioneer..but I would caution to clean very well, with a water-based solvent..I have heard some of the subs are corrosive. Best of luck!
Old July 3, 2012, 05:39 PM   #3
billyj

Thanks Idael Tool, gas seal seem to be tight , gun shoots fine.Iwas just trying to keep it that way.Dixie Gun Works has a sharps sleeve remover tool may give that a shot. would hate not to be able fire it.
Old July 3, 2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Slamfire

These would be the people to ask:

American Pioneer Powder, Inc.
20423 State Road 7 #F6-268, Boca Raton, Florida 33498
Toll Free 888.756.7693

I just looked at their web page, looked at their FAQ, no special warnings about applications.
Old July 4, 2012, 03:36 PM   #5
arcticap

APP doesn't have any sulfur and won't cause any corrosion unless the residue is left in place which then absorbs moisture. It's a moderate strength powder that gains velocity with more compression.
Old July 6, 2012, 05:58 PM   #6
billyj

Thanks for the help. Think I will stay with American Pioneer powder, and with any luck the sharps will be around and firing in an other fifty years.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:37 PM   #7
Amsdorf

I'm jealous!!!!

The Sharps Rifle is on my bucket list.