The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 19, 2011, 05:23 AM   #1
bumnote

Just bought 1st M96 and have question about the safety

Last week I picked up a '02 Gustaf M96 and have a question about the safety. When it's decocked, I can flip the safety up into the 12 & 3 o'clock positions and each position locks bolt in place. In the 9 o'clock position bolt is unlocked. When cocked, it functions like my 98GEW action. Is this normal for the M96? I've also noticed (as I type this) when dry firing the safety lever 'bounces' a little, every so often not returning to the 9 o'clock position.
I did have to disassemble the the 96's bolt when I got the rifle because I couldn't get the safety to function at all, but found a posting on a Mauser board and followed the instructions and got it to engage, but I didn't notice if I could flip the safety on and off then when it was decocked. If it matters, the main spring might be new.

On a side note...I love this rifle...especially the round! What an absolute pleasure the 6.5 is to shoot. I loaded up some low pressure rounds and I swear the recoil was just a bit stronger than a 223...and as accurate as I've read. I've become a Mauser addict recently...but this round may become my favorite. I have a Brazilian M1908 action I was going to build a custom off of...and if it's not going to require a ton of work I think I'll have it chambered in 6.5.
Old July 19, 2011, 05:46 PM   #2
Jo6pak

Welcome to the 6.5 Swede cult. They are great rifles with a great round.
I have an all original Carl Gustaf M96 marked 1912, and my deer rifle is a Sporter M96 built off a Kimber modified barrelled action marked 1918. Love em both

You safety sounds fine.
This is also how mine works, and I've had it for nearly 20yrs.
Decocked, both the 12 and 3 oclock should lock the bolt

Cocked, 3 is locked trigger and bolt. 12 oclock safes just the rigger, bolt should move. and 9 oclock is fire.

I just checked and my safety lever bounces a bit when dry firing too, just ever so slightly.

Have fun
Old July 19, 2011, 06:25 PM   #3
bumnote

Thanks Jo6pak! It's a relief to know I don't have to replace any parts, everything matches on this one.
I can see how this cult suck you in...I'm already eyeing another one.
Old July 19, 2011, 06:30 PM   #4
SurplusShooter

Welcome to the cult I have a 1915 Carl Gustav in as issued condition your safty is fine as stated and enjoy the rifle they are very accurate rifles.