The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 9, 2007, 05:48 PM   #1
conquer_all2002

Thoughts on a lorcin 380

I have someone offering me one for $150. I currently use a KEL-TEC P-3AT for conceal carry but Im not a big fan of the over all "plastic" feeling of it. So what do you think of the Lorcin?
Old August 9, 2007, 05:52 PM   #2
Jason_G

I would think you already have the better of the two...

Jason
Old August 9, 2007, 05:53 PM   #3
kristop64089

do a Lorcin search here. I bet you won't like what you find...and i'd offer him $100
Old August 9, 2007, 05:55 PM   #4
Joe the Redneck

Pass, it's crap at any price.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:56 PM   #5
marshall2

$150 is way too high

Lorcins sell for less than that. Definitely under $100. But it is not considered to be a sturdy reliable gun. I wouldn't get it, unless I just wanted to mess around taking it apart and fixing things.
Old August 9, 2007, 05:57 PM   #6
RevolverLover

I would pass.

"One test = 1,000 expert opinions." -Art Eatman
Old August 9, 2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Starsky

When I was a FFL Dealer, my wholesale price as a dealer on Lorcin .380's was $42.00......and that was still too much for what you got in a "gun". That should tell you all you need to know
Old August 9, 2007, 06:13 PM   #8
conquer_all2002

Thanks guys. i think I'll pass on it, I was just gonna buy it to buy it. I already have 4 decent guns and 3 decent rifles, I should probably save my money for a really nice one.
Old August 9, 2007, 06:28 PM   #9
SpookBoy

you would get twice the gun in a hi-point for 100$$
had one with 600 rounds-no cleaning in between no ftf or fte's
best buy in my opinion!

"Once you familiarize yourself with the chains of bondage , You prepare your own limbs to wear them."
- Abraham Lincoln
Old August 9, 2007, 06:30 PM   #10
conquer_all2002

I already had an HP and sold it. There is a nice S&W 9mm for cheap over at Take AIm that I've been eying. Maybe I'll pick that up soon.
Old August 9, 2007, 06:40 PM   #11
Tom2

I think what they were trying to tell you on here is that a Lorcin is actually a gun like papeweight. If you ever challenge someone to a duel, give him the Lorcin. Especially if he is a really dreadful enemy. I think it is made of zinc castings too. Tell someone their gun looks like a Lorcin if you really want to P them off. Get the drift? The guy might get 150 from a sick crack dealer or something but the best way to use it as a weapon is to tie a string to it and spin it over your head. Release so it flies at the adversaries head. Then again it might not do much damage any way you use it. Commonly referred to as a "throwdown" gun. Now for the positives. It is good as a throwdown gun.
Old August 9, 2007, 07:02 PM   #12
dbgun

The Lorcin .380 is the only pistol, I've ever owned that was a POS. I got it new from someone at a Gunshow for $65. I bought a second clip, but I still had at least one FTF. I sold it to a co-worker for $50. I explained to him all the problems, but he still wanted it. He turned around and sold it to one of the young guys he worked with for $75. Who turned around and sold it to a buddy for $125. The guy I sold it to, told me those young guys don't know what they were buying. Nither did I when I paid $65 for it. Just some info. I thought, I would pass on to you. Good luck.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:34 PM   #13
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Thanks guys. i think I'll pass on it,
Wise move. Lorcins are cheap-o ZAMAK POSs, well known for their unreliability. Your KelTec is a much better gun that that.

Yes, I can sympathize with your aversion to the "plastic" feel of the KelTecs (I feel the same way), but that is actually part of what is good about them. Because of the extensive use of polymers, they are able to be among the lightest CCW weapons around. No, not the most comfortable to shoot by any means, but among the most comfortable and convenient to carry.
Old August 9, 2007, 09:46 PM   #14
wolverine350

take it from someone doin gun repair for 13 years they make good fishing weights
Thompson Center Encore 243
Old August 18, 2007, 07:07 PM   #15
conquer_all2002

I figure I'd give you an update. I did pass up on the lorcin. Today I traded in my SKYY CPX that I thought was a POS (The firing pin broke in under 200rds) plus $150 for a Ruger P85.
Old August 19, 2007, 07:28 AM   #16
Tom2

Here we go again.....
Old September 8, 2009, 09:58 PM   #17
shooter1959

Lorcin 380

I have been hunting and collecting guns for 30 years and you get what you pay for.I own a lorcin 380 and have fired well over 500 rounds through it and have had no maintenance problems with it.I agree it is not of the highest quality but for the price I have no complaints,I must also say that many shooters treat their firearms like their tools just throw them back out of the way when the're not in use.There are many sub-standard guns on the market but lets face it if you are a weekend warrior and just profess to be an avid gun toter you probubly don't possess a great deal of knowledge where firearms are concerned.I have found that cars and guns are alike usually if they are maintained properly you will get more miles.My advise is check out a firearm for yourself,it's ok to take some advise from others but remember most people are opinionated and tend to follow whats being said instead of making up their own mind!
Old September 8, 2009, 10:40 PM   #18
jjyergler

Thoughts on Lorcin...

...not on a family website. :barf:
Hi Standard Supermatic Citation .22LR - Tincans Beware
Old September 9, 2009, 06:11 AM   #19
Alleykat

Hmmm. PROPER tool for Lorcin: Mediocre-to-low-grade hacksaw. Pot metal doesn't require much of a hacksaw.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:51 AM   #20
raftman

You've already been convinced, but I'd add in my $0.02... I would not in a million years choose a Lorcin over a Kel-Tec. I've got a P32, and didn't much like the "plastic" feel of it either, because up to that point, I've pretty much only owned all-steel handguns, and the Kel-Tec did feel a little "cheap" by comparison. After a while, you get used to it though, and it doesn't seem too bad anymore. It's particularly forgivable because despite feeling plasticy, it's proven to be more reliable (thus far 100%) than the all-steel pocket guns that I've owned.
Old September 9, 2009, 06:30 PM   #21
Jason_G

Someone had a thread seance I see.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old September 10, 2009, 06:31 AM   #22
jeo556

Quote:
I have been hunting and collecting guns for 30 years and you get what you pay for.I own a lorcin 380 and have fired well over 500 rounds through it and have had no maintenance problems with it.I agree it is not of the highest quality but for the price I have no complaints,I must also say that many shooters treat their firearms like their tools just throw them back out of the way when the're not in use.There are many sub-standard guns on the market but lets face it if you are a weekend warrior and just profess to be an avid gun toter you probubly don't possess a great deal of knowledge where firearms are concerned.I have found that cars and guns are alike usually if they are maintained properly you will get more miles.My advise is check out a firearm for yourself,it's ok to take some advise from others but remember most people are opinionated and tend to follow whats being said instead of making up their own mind!
You really decided to revive a two year old, dead thread to defend lorcin? Seriously?
Old October 24, 2016, 01:50 AM   #23
CalistaChaos

Lorcin 380 bad juju

So I've owned a Lorcin 380 for about 2 and a half weeks. I purchased it used from a local store for $75. It seemed to be in decent condition and good working order. Then last Thursday it fell out of its holster about 2 feet onto a tile floor and it fired, shooting me in my left leg. I got very lucky that I was not critically injured, however I do have a hole in my left leg below my knee and the round is in my thigh. This gun doesn't have a drop safety and the springs are weak. From what I can tell the firing pin didn't strike the primer correctly. If it had my injury would have likely been life threatening. Or I could have lost my leg.
Had we known that it didn't have the drop safety my wife would have never let me buy it because of our children and animals. I wouldn't recommend this gun. My wife calls it the biggest P.O.S. She's ever seen and it says a lot considering we are both prior military. And we have never heard of a Lorcin until we found 1 at the store. I have very mixed feelings about the gun, on 1 hand I want to sell it because it shot me and on the other hand I don't want anyone else getting hurt by this weapon.
Old October 24, 2016, 05:40 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, CalistaChaos.

I'm sorry about your injury, but it's been ~8 years since the last post in this thread. Accordingly, I'm going to close this thread, but feel free to open a new thread if there's something you want to discuss about Lorcins.