The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2016, 04:49 AM   #1
ADIDAS69

5.7 reloading

I have read a number of older threads that suggest reloading 5.7 is problematic and possibly dangerous. I am wondering if there is an update to proper process and safest practice especially regarding the proprietary coating on the shell casing. Any information would be appreciated.
Old October 17, 2016, 05:30 AM   #2
darkgael

AFAIK there is no news about the process of reloading the little beast.
The "difficulties" are two in number. The first is that the range of powder charge weight from minimum to maximum is very small, only six or seven tenths of a grain. There are only three propellants for which there is published data...Accurate #5 and 7, Ramshot True Blue.
Proper resizing presents the other problem. Firing the 5.7 blows the shoulder of the case forward more than any That I have ever seen (and I load more than forty different cartridges). Setting the shoulder back requires that the press be set to "cam over" - at least my Rockchucker does.
This process works the neck and shoulder enough that case separations can and do occur. Normally, annealing the neck would solve the problem but these cases cannot be annesled because of the polymer coating.
Old October 17, 2016, 11:28 AM   #3
ADIDAS69

Thanks Darkgael

Yeah sounds like everything I've heard or read. It's a shame, I picked an AR lower from Sharps Brothers that has a skull milled on top of the mag well. I was hoping to use one of the available 5.7 uppers resulting in brass falling out of the skull. Much sadness.
Old October 17, 2016, 12:50 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Read this. https://www.loaddata.com/articles/PD...arce%20LR1.pdf
And this. http://www.fivesevenforum.com/w/inde...itle=Reloading
Biggest issue is there's no brass available if you need it. Neither Midway nor Graf's list any. Some on Gunbroker though.
These guys want $40 for 500 pcs. No idea how old the page is.
https://www.diamondkbrass.com/5.7x28-MM-500.html
Old October 18, 2016, 05:54 PM   #5
RC20

Point of order if you will and veering off 5.7 topic but definitely reloading.

Anneal is aimed at maintaining the neck area good, but that's case splits and neck tension uniformity.

Case separation occurs down at the base (1/4 way up) - ergo the should push back and minimal doing so.

That's the wisdom and my experience. could be wrong.

The 5.7 may break up there, but I never had any other case do that (split yes). They must have a way out head space (reliability?, large chamber?)

All my case separation (mostly with FC) have been down at the base.
Old October 19, 2016, 06:14 AM   #6
darkgael

OK

RC: You are correct about the normal use of the terminology....Case separations most frequently occur at the web or a bit above it.
My experience with the 5.7, though, is that the neck does not split....there is a complete separation at or slightly above the shoulder. The neck remains in the chamber and prevents the following round from chambering. I attribute that to metal fatigue. Perhaps I am wrong....I wish, though, that I had a few cases to show just how much the shoulder blows forward upon firing. There is a lot of metal moving both upon firing and again at resizing. I am careful about headspace....measuring cases and setting dies. What I have found, though, is that the sizing die will not set the shoulder back far enough unless the ram over cams.
Suggestions welcome.
Old October 23, 2016, 01:03 PM   #7
darkgael

Shoulder

Here is a pic showing two once fired cases next to a factory round. Note the shoulders.