The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 28, 2001, 12:40 AM   #1
idaho-ar15

I've got 9mm carbide RCBS dies for reloading and would like to start to reload .380. I know the .380 is also refered to as a 9mm short. It uses a shorter case but the same diameter bullet just lighter, like 95 gr.. Is it possible to use the 9mm dies in my RCBS rockchucker to reload for .380

idaho-ar15
Old March 28, 2001, 01:15 AM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Probably not, but - - -

Idaho--I just looked in two diffrerent manuals with good cartridge drawings. On the basis of what I saw there, I'd be strongly inclined to say NO.

On the other hand, I recall over 30 years back, I had the same quesiton. I had a new PPK .380 and very little money. So I took my old RCBS 9 mm dies and managed to load up a few rounds of .380. They worked, after a fashion. I lost almost all the reloaded cases on the first firing, and I had a couple of malfunctions, but I'd have to call it a limited success.

I suggest you load a couple of dummy rounds and try 'em out. Be sure to use fired cases. If you don't want to purchase a hundred bullets, you might pull a couple from factory loaded cartridges and use those bullets for your dummies.

It is just possible that your 9 x 19 mm dies will size the .380 cases down enough to do the job. If the dummies hand-cycle properly, load a few rounds. Use mild powder charges, and I don't see how any harm can come of it.

Best of luck, and please let us know how this works out.

Regards,
Johnny
Old March 28, 2001, 03:03 AM   #3
Bill Adair

Idaho,

I wouldn't recommend loading 380 ammo, with 9mm dies!

The 9mm sizing die is larger in diameter, and the taper crimp die probably won't crimp your 380 cases at all, because the crimp ring is too deep for the 380 cases to reach.

Best pick up a set of 380 dies, and do the job safely. You can probably find them used for ten bucks or so.

Bill
Old March 28, 2001, 08:38 AM   #4
tonyz

No! There is a Size Differance

You will need to get separate die's.
The 380 case is smaller also it is straight walled. the The 9mm is a tapered case. it will not work in my Dillon Press.

I have tryed

Tony
Old March 28, 2001, 09:46 AM   #5
idaho-ar15

thanks for the advise guys, I didn't want to buy another set of dies if they where identical but had .380 stamped on them as a marketing ploy. Since they are different I will be purchasing a new set.

thanks
idaho-ar15
Old March 28, 2001, 03:54 PM   #6
Bill Adair

Idaho,

All reloading equipment manufacturers now sell combination die sets, where ever that is appropriate. We see 38Special/357magnum, 44Special/44magnum, and 10mm/40S&W for instance, where some of these calibers were sold individually in years past.

I suspect the economy of tooling up for one combination die set, as opposed to two separate calibers, far outweighed any additional sales they might gain otherwise.

Many shooters (myself included), reload only one caliber of a set anyway, and in these cases, no sales are lost at all.

As a matter of fact, I just saw a 380 ACP die set (complete with shell holder) for $10, over on the Outdoors.net Firearms Forum. Check it out if your interested.

The forum software at Outdoors.net is different than most other forums are using, so if you have any trouble signing in, let me know at my email address, and I'll try to help.

http://www.outdoors.net/forums/index...rivateForum=OK

Good luck.

Bill