The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 2, 2013, 08:22 PM   #1
KnotRight

Colts Woodsman vs Mitchell High Standard

Did not want to high-jack the Colts Woodsman thread but wanted to get some infromation on these 2 guns. I picked them up some time ago and have not shot them much. I guess you can call these Safe Queens. Winchester_73 did provide some information on the Citation.

Last edited by KnotRight; April 2, 2013 at 08:36 PM.
Old April 3, 2013, 09:12 PM   #2
erob3

After much reading I think the general consensus on the Mitchell HS is they are hit and miss as to function. I would encourage you to go to Rimfirecentral.com, there is a section there dedicated to Colt and H.S. One person in the HS section, John Stimson, can tell you ANYTHING and EVERYTHING about your HS. Hope that helps. Good Luck.
Old April 5, 2013, 09:27 PM   #3
Keg

Quote:
Did not want to high-jack the Colts Woodsman thread but wanted to get some infromation on these 2 guns. I picked them up some time ago and have not shot them much. I guess you can call these Safe Queens. Winchester_73 did provide some information on the Citation.
Would'nt have bothered me....More the merrier....
The Colt looks like a 3rd series Sport model....

U might check out this site....
http://www.colt22.com/
Old April 5, 2013, 09:47 PM   #4
donato

Quote:
The Colt looks like a 3rd series Sport model....
Keg, I believe you are correct. I had one once. I sold it. I've been depressed ever since.
Old April 5, 2013, 10:24 PM   #5
bluetopper

The Mitchell gun is just a High Standard copy, isn't it?
Old April 6, 2013, 05:25 AM   #6
Keg

Quote:
Keg, I believe you are correct. I had one once. I sold it. I've been depressed ever since.
Hahahaa! I bet U are....I regretted gettin rid of a Huntsman..the cheap model..but boy could it shoot....
Old April 7, 2013, 03:51 PM   #7
KnotRight

I called Colt and asked about the Woodsman and it was a 1962 2nd generation gun. Now looking into the Mitchell High Standard a little more.
Old April 7, 2013, 07:57 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Maybe it is what my daughter used to call an "otical delusion" but the frame of the Colt looks odd ahead of the slide, like it is tapered front to back, which it shouldn't be.

I don't see why either should be a safe queen; the Woodsman is not pristine, and the H-S copy is a new gun, presumably made to shoot.

Have fun.

Jim
Old April 7, 2013, 08:07 PM   #9
Keg

Quote:
I called Colt and asked about the Woodsman and it was a 1962 2nd generation gun.

There are three series of Woodsman pistols, corresponding to three basic frame designs. First Series refers to all those built on the S frame as it existed prior to and during World War Two. Second Series includes all versions built on the second S frame design from late 1947 until mid 1955, and Third Series means the third S frame design as used from 1955 to the end of regular production in 1977.
Each series had a Sport Model with a 4-1/2 inch round barrel, a Target Model with a 6 or 6-5/8 inch round barrel, and a Match Target Model with a heavy, flat sided barrel. For the first series Match Target that flat sided barrel was 6-5/8 inches in length, while in the post war versions it was either 4-1/2 or 6 inches.
Old April 7, 2013, 08:09 PM   #10
Keg

Quote:
I don't see why either should be a safe queen; the Woodsman is not pristine, and the H-S copy is a new gun, presumably made to shoot.

Have fun.
Jim..I agree..they both look to be shooters..especially the Colt....
Old April 8, 2013, 09:29 AM   #11
Winchester_73

Quote:
I called Colt and asked about the Woodsman and it was a 1962 2nd generation gun.
Well it appears that someone from Colt was "knotright" because with a heel mag release and 1962 production, the gun is automatically a 3rd gen Woodsman. Also, if the grips were original to the gun, its a 3rd, because 2nd gens were plastic grip, ah hehem I mean "colt-wood".
Old April 16, 2013, 08:32 PM   #12
claydoctor

Looks just like the third generation (1960) I recently purchased. I have always wanted one but now that I have it I have certain reservations. Despite the thumb rest or perhaps because of it, it doesn't sit well in my hand. I was shooting today with a friend and he had the same impression. For some reason, it also shot a much wider group than the Les Baer 1911 I was also shooting. As for the Hi Standard, they are currently in production.
Old April 17, 2013, 08:44 AM   #13
Pilot

^^^^^ I have the same issue with my 6 inch barreled, 3rd Gen Woodsman Match Target. Beautiful, well made pistol, but I can not grip it as well as my Ruger MK II's. While it is an accurate pistol, I can shoot my Rugers and other .22 target pistols a bit better.

I think the Woodsman was designed in an age when men were smaller, and had smaller hands.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:39 PM   #14
erob3

The following info may shed more light on the Mitchell. It's not mine but from someone that really knows.

Mitchell is a former executive of High Standard of Connecticut. When Hi Std went out of business in 1984, Mitchell started up a company making clones of the High Standard target pistols. He even marked them with High Standard names. The pistols were all stainless steel and looked fine but apparently did not quite match the originals for accuracy. Some who report here might disagree but the consensus is that they were less accurate and operationally troublesome. Some have done "work" on them an got them to be at least reliable.

Then the real owners of the name (purchased along with all the engineering drawings and some tooling and parts) sued Mitchell and another company that made Hi Std clones for Stoegers. Mitchell and the other company lost the lawsuit and those clones were taken off the market. That all played out in the 1990's.