The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 12, 2012, 10:36 PM   #1
SerenityNetworks

Best Price G20 SF

I've decided to purchase a G20 SF. On the tip from another thread I checked out Ed's Public Safety. Nate offered $491 for a member of GSSF (that costs $35). Unfortunately, when it came time for the sale, I live in Texas. They can't ship outside their sales area, which does not include Texas. The total if I get it through Ed's Public Safety comes to $595 (491 Pistol + 34 Tax + 35 GSSF + 35 FFL-FFL) or $560 if I get it in GA (where I may be traveling in the next few weeks).

Does anyone know of anything in the Dallas area or via mail order where the total comes out significantly less? So far I haven't seen anything within $40, by the time I add in shipping and transfer fees.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old August 13, 2012, 02:05 AM   #2
myshoulderissore

Try Cheaper than Dirt in Ft Worth... Pretty sure they would match that, plus no xfer fee.
Old August 13, 2012, 09:36 AM   #3
jasmith85

One thing to note on the purchase in Georgia. Other states may be different but as a Tennessee resident I have been told it is illegal for me to go out of state and buy a handgun. You might want to look into that before purchasing in Georgia just to be sure. Maybe someone on here would know for certain.
Old August 13, 2012, 10:20 AM   #4
chris in va

Unless TN just has some weird precedent, you can certainly buy a gun out of state. The FFL/shop then ships it to your TN FFL and you pick it up.
Old August 13, 2012, 11:48 AM   #5
jasmith85

I know they can be shipped to an FFL but I took his post as meaning buying it in person out of state. You're not exactly going to save money if you buy it in person then have the store ship it to an FFL and pick it up in your state because you would pay all of the fees that you would just buying online. If anything it would cost more because if you pay in person you would have to pay taxes as well as all of the transfer and shipping fees.
Old August 13, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Other states may be different but as a Tennessee resident I have been told it is illegal for me to go out of state and buy a handgun.
Quote:
I know they can be shipped to an FFL but I took his post as meaning buying it in person out of state.
FEDERAL LAW, not State. GCA of 1968 forbids out of state direct sale of handguns. It MUST go through a FFL dealer.

A quick check of Gallery of Guns shows that for getting one through a local FFL, with his fee, shipping, and all. The lowest final cost was $598.00. Bud's Guns was $545, but did not include shipping, or dealer transfer.
The price in your area may be different from Gallory of Guns.
http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 14, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
XDforever

He can purchase a handgun in a state bordering his own legally, right? He's in Texas so he could purchase a handgun in NM, OK, AR, or LA in person. Or am I mistaken?

Joe
Old August 14, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Captain H

Nope, cannot buy a handgun accross state lines.
Old August 14, 2012, 08:42 PM   #9
SerenityNetworks

I'm so very glad I asked.

For one, I had no idea I could not purchase a handgun in another state.
For another, I would have figured I could pay in person (at an FFL) and at least have it shipped FFL to FFL (although it really would not make sense, as I would have to pay local taxes).

Like I said, I'm glad I asked. I never would have thought I couldn't just walk into any gun store in the country and as long as I met the local qualifications just buy the handgun. I suppose the local shop would ask for ID and when they saw I was a Texas resident they would say 'no'. But it seems very odd to me that I can anonymously purchase a handgun over the internet, but can't do so in person. No, it seems just plain bizarre.

Anyway, it's looking like it's not worth the risk for the dollars saved.

Thanks again,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge
Old August 15, 2012, 06:27 AM   #10
45_auto

You absolutely CAN purchase a handgun in another state in person and pay for it there. But you can't take possession of it there.

They'll just have to ship it to an FFL in your home state. That's where you'll fill out the federal/local paperwork (4473, NICS check, etc), then you'll get the gun.

No different than paying over the internet and having it shipped to your local FFL.
Old August 15, 2012, 08:07 AM   #11
SerenityNetworks

45_auto, what you say is what the GA dealer said. I wondered if it was correct, as he said I wouldn't pay tax and that didn't make sense to me. But seeing that I'm not taking possession until I'm in Texas clarifies the matter - essentially the same as an internet purchase.

Thanks,
Andrew

NRA Life Member
------------------------
"There are some ideas so preposterous that only an intellectual will believe them." - Malcolm Muggeridge

Tags
g20 sf , glock