The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 16, 2011, 07:14 PM   #1
khest

New Beretta PX4

Here is my Px4 F Model with OD Green frame, got it from Academy for $500 missed the sale they had on it by a day. Shot a ragged hole the first range trip after a cleaning.

Old May 16, 2011, 07:18 PM   #2
LockedBreech

I never get tired of people getting PX4s. Severely underrated pistols and I love mine to death. A solid, reliable, comfortable, and accurate polymer gun.

I like the olive drab on yours, and the lanyard ring by the magazine. Mine doesn't have that.

Two curiosity questions:

1.) My serial is formatted PY25*** What's yours? If it's a Y, it was made in Gardone Val Trompia, Italy. The other letter (I forget which) means it was made in Accokeek, Maryland. Quality is identical, just curious.

2.) 9 or .40? I have .40, but you can't go wrong with either.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:25 PM   #3
khest

I have a 77n****** for serial, and has made in Italy on the slide.

I have it in 9mm. I think the only OD frames I have seen is the .45 SD version, and 9mm version. Never saw it for .40 S&W.

Khest
Old May 16, 2011, 07:27 PM   #4
LockedBreech

I'm clearly not as well-versed in the serials as I thought I was.

Great gun and with 9mm I am guessing you found the recoil very light. My .40 recoils about as much as a typical 9mm polymer with the rotating action.
Old May 16, 2011, 07:35 PM   #5
Don Glock

there's a lot of pistols that don't sell as well as they should, and i think the the reason is striker fired pistols are the hot ticket nowadays, and DA pistols like the px4 and fnx series are kinda out of place with the current trend.

nothing wrong with them at all though. in fact, fn is coming out with striker fired versions at the end of this year. maybe that'll be the next step for the px4. who knows?
Old May 16, 2011, 08:55 PM   #6
ShipWreck

VERY cool. I almost bought the OD green one too - I wanted it. But, I was able to get the black version for $439 new this past weekend. I didn't think the color was worth another $60. Otherwise, i'd have gotten the green one too. The green one comes with the lanyard loop, and the color combo rocks.
Old May 16, 2011, 09:50 PM   #7
MP9

congratulations... pretty nice gun.. I am thinking about a px4 for my next gun.. maybe .40 , there is when the rotative barrel can help... I am asking myself if which has less recoil.. the px4 .40 or mp40? does anyone has shoot both?

I wish there were a px4 "cocked and locked"
Old May 16, 2011, 10:05 PM   #8
Bucks Gun Shop

I'll tell ya... Was not big on the Px4 when it came out, but since having, holding, and fondling I have become a big fan... Excellent pistol out of the box and really seems to be a hit with the ladies... Very easy slide action to work... Great gun...
Old May 16, 2011, 10:17 PM   #9
khest

Thinking of getting the slender decocker put on, as I find the standard F one rather to big and rough for my liking, of course that will turn it in to a G model I understand.

Shipwreck I saw your PS90 and PX4 combo looks good. Mine matches my PS90. Now thinking of it, I will want to take a combo pic.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:10 AM   #10
AustinTX

Congrats on your PX4! Terrific and massively underappreciated guns that don't take a backseat to any of the polymer service pistols.

Quote:
I am asking myself if which has less recoil.. the px4 .40 or mp40? does anyone has shoot both?
The PX4, and it's not really a close contest. The rotating barrel action makes the PX4 the softest-shooting service pistol in .40 by a wide margin.
Old May 17, 2011, 12:27 AM   #11
C0untZer0

Doesn't flipping the safety UP bug you?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:57 AM   #12
DRSmith

Quote:
congratulations... pretty nice gun.. I am thinking about a px4 for my next gun.. maybe .40 , there is when the rotative barrel can help... I am asking myself if which has less recoil.. the px4 .40 or mp40? does anyone has shoot both?
I have shot both, and thought they were pretty similar, softer than other makes. The Px4 is said to be soft due to its rotating barrel. The M&P has a low bore axis and a beaver tail that inhibits muzzle rise. The Px4 is the easiest to shoot small groups with among pistols I have shot.
Old May 17, 2011, 01:48 AM   #13
khest

The safety does bother me, but since I only shoot it at the range its not too much of a bother. Its not my carry gun, or home defense gun.

As for recoil, feels less than a M9 I qualified on years ago and the first time I took it out was able to group much faster than other pistols I shot before.

Khest
Old May 17, 2011, 02:51 AM   #14
AustinTX

Quote:
Doesn't flipping the safety UP bug you?
Why should it? It's slide-mounted, so up to fire is the direction that makes sense.

Regardless, the gun is DA/SA, so I would only use it as a decocker.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:26 AM   #15
ShipWreck

Quote:
Shipwreck I saw your PS90 and PX4 combo looks good. Mine matches my PS90. Now thinking of it, I will want to take a combo pic.
Old May 17, 2011, 06:54 AM   #16
Donovan655

I had the same experience with my px4 (also in the OD green).

I took it out of the case and shot a few hundred rounds and was more accurate than any other semi auto I've ever fired.

Outstanding gun.
Old May 17, 2011, 07:03 AM   #17
Doug B.

Beretta PX4 Type F, 9mm

I find this thread interesting after I purchased my Beretta about 4 months ago. You don't hear much about this sidearm, and when you do, for the most part, the general consensus is quite favorable. This was my firearm of choice because of all the positive comments during my "quest" for a new pistol.

I like everything about mine! No fails of any kind, with store bought white box or my handloads. Plus being correct (left) handed , it fits me very well. I will guess 400+ rounds down the tube at this point.

I figure in this day and age, any company that has been around since 1506 (I believe) has a reasonably good chance to be in business for a good time to come. Especially considering today's business climate.

Highly recommended.
Old May 17, 2011, 08:47 AM   #18
Marlin009

I have about 2500 flawless rounds through my 9MM, love it!

Anyone know what the little plastic cup that comes with it is for?
Old May 17, 2011, 09:13 AM   #19
Smaug

Good purchase, great gun. I was never able to shoot a striker gun as well as the .45 PX4 I shot.

Safety up is no biggie. It's all in folks' heads.

Congrats on the great gun and for "thinking outside the Glocks."

"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
- Eric Hoffer
Old May 17, 2011, 11:22 AM   #20
barefoot

I also don't like the up-to-fire safety. I know - with training it would work, but down-to-fire makes more sense. I think they have a version without the thumb safety, though, so it's still something I'd consider.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:35 AM   #21
Leejack

Very cool!

I like the OD green!
Old May 17, 2011, 11:42 AM   #22
LockedBreech

I really haven't found the safety to be an issue, either the slide mount or the up to fire. It takes a few magazines, few range trips and then you're just used to it, like the odd mag release on a Walther, or the odd decocker on, say, the HK P30.
Old May 17, 2011, 11:46 AM   #23
khest

Never did care for the combat bricks, most of the striker fired pistols never did fit well either. For some reason all the external hammer pistols felt nice. I really liked the how the PX4 felt and the barrel design was unique.

Its really too bad Promag or any other company hasnt made magazines for it. Feels like all the Beretta ones are more expensive than from Beretta themselves.

Khest
Old May 17, 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
AustinTX

Quote:
I also don't like the up-to-fire safety. I know - with training it would work, but down-to-fire makes more sense.
Down-to-fire makes more sense if the safety is not above the thumb. The Beretta safety works the same as slide-mounted safeties from Walther, HK, Smith & Wesson, Ruger, IMI, Steyr, and others have worked going back eight decades. Can you name any non-Makarov gun with a down-to-fire slide-mounted safety?
Old May 17, 2011, 12:17 PM   #25
khest

M9 has been used how many years of service with the safety going up?

Tags
beretta , px4