The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 23, 2011, 06:04 PM   #26
Scorch

Quote:
Now they they are recovering, they are reoccupying former range and folks are aghast.
Why of course they are! And these decent taxpayers probably want the Government to do something about it, and right away! Something like pass a law, make it illegal for a croc to be uncivilized, like trying to eat you while you're fishing (recent internet news story).

Really, I think it's hilarious, people think the wild animals are like a zoo, you get to watch but not feed them. In reality, if you are not careful, you might just end up feeding them. But yes, the Aussies do have a problem on their hands, similar to the problem they are having with kangaroos and camels, only the "salties" can eat you.
Old March 25, 2011, 07:59 AM   #27
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
But crocs are cute and family friendly! See?

Old March 25, 2011, 08:19 AM   #28
aarondhgraham

What's that old saying,,,

“When You’re Up To Your Ass In Alligators It’s Easy To Forget Your Objective Was To Drain The Swamp.”

Aarond
Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old March 25, 2011, 03:03 PM   #29
markj

Why I think we need a new episode of Swamp People in Aus. they will show them how to get it done...
Old March 25, 2011, 05:31 PM   #30
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
“When You’re Up To Your Ass In Alligators It’s Easy To Forget Your Objective Was To Drain The Swamp.”
What a great quote. I don't know if it reflects the statement of a real person or is a joke, but it does reflect how short sighted and incompetent humans often are when it comes to being stewards of the land and water. Draining the swamps seems like a great way to make more land that can be turned for a profit, but it turns out that said swamps are great biological resources that do a heck of a job being habitat and reproductive habit for a bunch of game animals (especially birds and fish, not to mention gators, but I did). Such wetland habitats do a fine job of helping fight water pollution by acting as a natural filtration and processing station. In fact, engineered wetlands are being installed in some areas to help with water filtration and they provide new habitat as well. Think of all the money the folks at Ducks Unlimited have spent to make or save habitat for game and here we could get cities to put in their own wetland swamps and purify waste water with fewer chemicals (some such swamps are totally or near totally chem-free in the processing) as well as helping to supporting hunting via regenerated habitat.