The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 29, 2008, 10:30 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Loading Wadcutters (.38)

I am about to order some lead wadcutters and try loading them on my Dillon 550.

I am looking for any comments or suggestions for this bullet style loaded in
.38 Special.

148 gr?
158 gr?

Hollowbase?
Bevelbase?

Load flush or load to groove?

roll or tapper crimp?

What brand such as Speer, Remington, etc. I hear Remington is coated, not too messy to load, does not burn off when fired, and very accurate.

Hornandy may have the silver wax type coatings etc.

I have a Dillon bullet seater die to allow easy clean-out of any grease buildup.

I want to load these for sharp edge paper punching out to about 25 yds. Also for general plinking etc. in several models of revolvers.

I have loaded many semi-wadcutters. want to give the full cutters a try for informal match shooting etc.

I am more interested in the above questions and not so much powder and load charges at this time. My first goal is to order some WC bullets while I can still afford them.

Any thoughts would be great!

McCain/Palin

Old August 30, 2008, 05:41 AM   #2
eme

I load DEWC and button type wad cutters in 38 and 357. I use Bear Creek type, which are moly coated and do not lead the barrel even in a HOT load for 357. I load these in 38 at 720 FPS and at 950 FPS and in 357 at over 1000 FPS. I do not set the bullet flush with the case, but leave it about 1/16inch above the case. I've tried Oregon Trail, but they did lead the barrel on the high load for 38 and really leaded the barrel of the 357 load. Hope this helps in your quest. Good Luck.
Old August 30, 2008, 08:06 AM   #3
indiandave

i shoot hornady hbwc's. i get very little leading. the hollow base expands in the barrel making for more accuacy. but it all comes down to speed of the bullet. i found the most accuracy at 700 fps your results might very.
Old August 30, 2008, 10:09 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

billions

-148g HBWC
-Sized case
-Bullseye or W231 (the two consistently most accurate --tested-- choices)
-Taper crimp; vary and test (recommend Redding Profile Crimp Die; it does both)
-"target" velocity = 700--820fps

This is based on what successful Bullseye shooters have learned over the years.......
Old August 30, 2008, 10:33 AM   #5
kraigwy

I shoot a lot of wad cutters. My Smith Model 52 center fire pistol requires the bullet to be flush with the mouth of the case or they wont fit in mag.

These also have to be light loads, (we're only talking about punching holes in paper).

For the 148 WCs I use 2.7 grns of Bullseye or 3 grns of 231.

If you try a roll crimp you'll end up pushing the bullet to far in the case. I use a taper crimp. Being careful not to swedge or deform the sofl lead bullet. Just enough to hold the bullet and make sure the rounds go into the chamber. Unlike the magnum or heavy pistols there isnt enough recoil in the Model 52 to calls the bullet to move under recoil.

I load these on the old Dillon RL 1000 (came out in the 70s, I have the 65th one made).

As a side note: If you use a roll crimp on your 38s or any other revolvers, I recommend the Lee Carbide Factory Crimp die. It re-sizes the case going in and coming our of the die. It eliminates the buldge cases you often get with heavy crimps in magnum cases. I recommend that what ever you do, that the seating and crimping be done in seperat steps.

I use a 150 grn SWC with the same load for 95% of my shooting through Smith 642, allowing me to shoot lots (over 200 rounds a week) of ammo through that little pistol with out devloping bad habbits from the recoil of heavier +P loads.

I dont know if you guys have heard of the RL 1000, its a lot like the Dillon 1050 only faster. Its nothing for me to spit out 1200 rounds an hour.

I use a six cavity mold for casting the wad cutters for practice. But for matches I use a single cavity for the uniformity you need in target shooting.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2008, 11:32 AM   #6
bluetopper

I get my 148gr DEWC's from either Two Alpha Bullets or Missouri Bullets. Nice prices!
Before I aquired my Model 52 I seated them at the bevel base with just the beveling sticking out to shoot in my revolvers, but to shoot in my 52 I now seat them flush.
Great target bullet!
Never tried them, but next batch I want to buy some swaged hollow based wc's.
I load them w/ either 2.8gr Bullseye or 2.5gr of Clays.

Last edited by bluetopper; August 30, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old August 30, 2008, 11:54 AM   #7
dardascastbullets

Loading Wadcutters (.38)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am about to order some lead wadcutters and try loading them on my Dillon 550.

I am looking for any comments or suggestions for this bullet style loaded in
.38 Special.

148 gr?
158 gr?

Hollowbase?
Bevelbase?

Load flush or load to groove?

roll or tapper crimp?

148 grain Wadcutter or Double-ended bevel base wadcutters will win you matches as long as they are of very high quality (without any voids, base defects, profile defects, sprues are on center, etc.). The same holds true for the 158 grain Semi-wadcutter. Load to the crimp groove and use taper crimp (just ever so slight). This information is based on feedback that I have received from my clients.

Matt
Old August 30, 2008, 11:58 AM   #8
tplumeri

OK, i dont load or shoot any wadcutters, and i dont know much about that bullit style.
what are the advantages?
why do i want to try them?
thanks
tom
Old August 30, 2008, 01:09 PM   #9
kraigwy

Quote:
OK, i dont load or shoot any wadcutters, and i dont know much about that bullit style.
what are the advantages?
why do i want to try them
Its probably the most accurate pistol bullet you can come across but only good for target shooting, paper punching.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 30, 2008, 01:46 PM   #10
bluetopper

Oh, it is quite an effective varmit and self defense bullet too, it hits with a whallop.
Old August 30, 2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I have looked at the 2 or 3 suppliers mentioned by link. I expect I will try an order from one of them.

I now have the basic info from the many post to get me started.
I have never loaded a full wadcutter before, but I guess it's not much different than a ball or semi-wadcutter.

Thanks for your help and keep posting if anyone has more info to offer.